1984 Indy Pontiac Fiero Troubles

Alias

Hey everyone,

I've had my 1984 Pontiac Fiero for about 8 months now. Around a month ago I had to take it to the mechanic to get the fuel pump switched out and the gas tank replaced. I've now begun experiencing issues that resemble low oil levels but the dip stick indicates otherwise. The symptoms the car is experiencing are sluggish speed (55 MPH max), high engine noise levels, and most recently when I idled the engine to check tranny fluid levels, a clonking noise when inside the car. When I initially experienced the problem I pulled it into a parking lot and popped the trunk to take a look at the engine. I noticed smoke coming from several locations including the oil dip stick (oil levels are still at an adequate amount despite this). I took it on the three minute drive home and prepared for the worst, as I couldn't keep it in the parking lot.

The engine still works fine, but I'm still experiencing the engine idling very loudly, (more so than usual). Oil levels are fine and so are tranny fluid levels.

Any suggestions before I drop another $100 at the mechanic?

Thanks.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Is the engine over revving at 55 mph when it wont go faster?
Does the transmission fluid smell burnt?
When you say it is idling loudly, is that because it is idling at a higher speed than normal or because it sounds like an exhaust leak?

Alias

Is the engine over revving at 55 mph when it wont go faster?
Does the transmission fluid smell burnt?
When you say it is idling loudly, is that because it is idling at a higher speed than normal or because it sounds like an exhaust leak?
It's idling at the normal speed it always does, but it almost sounds as if the engine is gonna explode. The engine doesn't seem to be over revving. And the tranny fluid doesn't smell burnt at all.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Torque converter slipping or 1st and reverse clutches in the trans are shot or valve body is sticking.

Could also be the TV cable ( transmission shift point) is not adjusted correctly.

Famous problems in the TH 125 or TH 125C.( C =Lock up convertor)

Fluid would not be burnt to show this... usually red with black and metallic bits if the clutches are slipping or gone.

Take it to a reputable trans shop ( AMMCO) or similar.

Doug in P.R. 😎

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Without actually seeing the car I dont think anybody on the internet is going to tell you exactly what is wrong with the car. Telling us the engine sounds like it is going to explode doesnt tell us whether you are hearing a clicking sound, a knocking sound, a rattling sound, or just a high volume. Take it to a shop to have it diagnosed before more damage occurs.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Problem is in post #3 he claims it's not over revving and I dont think the OP does his own work on the car.

Alias

Problem is in post #3 he claims it's not over revving and I dont think the OP does his own work on the car.
you're correct in assuming that. I'm barely in college and my dad left me the car before moving out of state. Garage kept most of it's life and 34,500 on the odometer. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to cars, so I won't lie when I say I only know the basics that any non-car enthusiast would (not to say that I don't like cars, I just haven't had the time to learn or had anyone to teach me).

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Thats not a problem but you need to have it looked at by a professional before severe damage may occur,