1994 2.0 liter cam

2barry7

My 2.0 Sunbird topend is bagged again. Looks like one of the lifters seized and exploded hammering up the cam and busting a rocker. I can get another head OK but what about a cam? GM part no. is #90232446 which is discontinued. This looks like it may exchange with a Daewoo #90232446.

Anyone buy a cam lately?

92 Sunbird LE

GM part #94658949

Specs:

Cam Type: Hydraulic
Exhaust Duration: 214 Deg214 Deg.
Exhaust Lift (inches): .262"
Exhaust Lift (mm): 6.662 Mm
Fits: • Buick Skyhawk ( 2.0 L 122 Cid L4 Sohc ) 1987 • Pontiac Grand Am ( 2.0 L 122 Cid L4 ) 1987 - 1989 • Pontiac Sunbird / 2000 ( 2.0 L 122 Cid L4 ) 1987 - 1990, 1992 - 1994
Intake Duration: 214 Deg.214 Deg
Intake Lift (inches): .262"
Intake Lift (mm): 6.655 Mm
Lope Separation: 120 Deg.120 Deg
Overlap: 37 Deg.37 Deg
Product Features: O.e.m Replacement

Doug in P.R.:cool:

92 Sunbird LE

From Scott on the Jbody forums:;)

Here's the story on the European ones... I don't know if you've done much reading about them, but there are several slightly different versions of the SOHC motor in Europe: the 20SEH and the C20NE. The C20NE is very close to ours, but the 20SEH has higher compression and a different cam with longer duration, but the same amount of lift as ours (so no issues with clearance.) The C20NE makes 115hp, but the 20SEH makes a respectable 130hp. The two companies that make these cams that I know of are BGA (in the UK, #CS5336) and AE (also UK, but owned by Federal Mogul, # CAM429.) I installed the AE one into my 93 and for the brief time that I ran it, I liked it a lot. To me it felt identical to stock below 3000rpm, but woke up considerably from there on up. Unfortunately I didn't realize that it didn't come with the second plug/ball in the end of the cam, so it soon wiped itself out due to lack of oiling. I ran a wideband to keep an eye on it, and also an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Those may be good ideas, though I never had any issues going lean and the stock ECU map seemed to run it fine. A couple other notes ... the first AE cam I bought didn't have the slot in the end for a distributor (not an issue for a 93) but the one I currently have does have it (and I'm happy because I will need it this time.) So that and the ball plugs in the ends are things to watch for. The one I just bought also doesn't have any AE markings on it like the first one, so I'm not sure what's up with that, but the cam does have the right profile, so it doesn't bother me. On the subject of upgraded cams, you can also go much wilder than just the 20SEH, it's just a nice upgrade and is factory-computer-friendly and is much more affordable, I just paid around 150 US shipped. There are aftermarket suppliers in the UK also that sell cams with more lift and duration. I have a Newman one that has a little more lift and duration than even the 20SEH that I've been saving for a future 2.0 build (going to use the 20SEH in my 1.8 in my Skyhawk wagon,) but the downside is you will pay more than double for an aftermarket one. Other than Newman, there are Kent, Piper, and Cat cams I think all make upgraded 20SEH/C20NE cams. Some are even wild enough to need solid lifters and push the power band beyond 7k rpms.

Ok so two more items for you if you've managed to make it this far haha. The "thrust pads" that go between the valve stem and followers are also hard to find in the US, but are AE part #TTP1. I grabbed a couple sets with my latest cam, they are inexpensive, maybe 20 bucks a set. And another somewhat hard to find item are SBi forged followers: they are much better than the junky Sealed Power R909s that you see everywhere, are lighter and stronger, and are good for higher rev limits. They are part number 180-1028. These are a little more elusive, if you find them somewhere let me know. I have a new set right now that I special ordered from some random place I don't even remember, but you may be able to track them down from the SBi site .. but SBi themselves don't do direct order. Also the place I ordered the AE cam from was Lymm Engine Components in the UK. I dealt with Simon, just via email and they were quick, helpful, and easy to deal with. Rockauto just ditched Euro-only parts a few months ago, they used to carry the 20SEH cams, but not anymore.

2barry7

2 liter cam

Thanks guys.
Head is off the car today.
Still working on this and will check those links.
Here's a photo of what happens when one of those lifters seems to fit just a little to tight on your new head. Maybe get a machine shop to check it out?Ooof!

rbzbozzy

TN
Is this the cam specs for the 1988 Sunbird Turbo?

GM part #94658949

Specs:

Cam Type: Hydraulic
Exhaust Duration: 214 Deg214 Deg.
Exhaust Lift (inches): .262"
Exhaust Lift (mm): 6.662 Mm
Fits: • Buick Skyhawk ( 2.0 L 122 Cid L4 Sohc ) 1987 • Pontiac Grand Am ( 2.0 L 122 Cid L4 ) 1987 - 1989 • Pontiac Sunbird / 2000 ( 2.0 L 122 Cid L4 ) 1987 - 1990, 1992 - 1994
Intake Duration: 214 Deg.214 Deg
Intake Lift (inches): .262"
Intake Lift (mm): 6.655 Mm
Lope Separation: 120 Deg.120 Deg
Overlap: 37 Deg.37 Deg
Product Features: O.e.m Replacement

Doug. Are these the specs for a camshaft that will work in my 1988 Sunbird 2.0 turbo?

92 Sunbird LE

Yes, maybe Comp can make you one here instead of looking overseas. You can send them your old one and maybe they can duplicate it with the specs above.

Doug in P.R.:)

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.