• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1994 Bonneville Dipstick?

The Good Doctor

Florida
I drive a 1994 Bonneville. The head on my oil dipstick recently broke off, so I went to the local pull apart, found a car with the same engine as mine, and pulled the dipstick. I was talking to someone who said that I could have just bought a new dipstick from Advanced Auto Parts (or similar store). How do I know if this is true (and will not damage my car). If this is a duplicate post, please direct me to the original, Thanks!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
If you look at the Advance Auto web site you will find they do not carry dipsticks for 1994 Pontiac Bonneville's. Any dipstick you buy has to be checked to make sure it is the same length as the original.

The Good Doctor

Florida
Is it only length? I know looking at other dipsticks that the gridded area is differently sized, as well as the way it has a "wave + curve" at the end (I assume for guidance purposes-- I wouldn't want to puncture whatever tube it sits in by using a dipstick that doesn't pipe in correctly). I realize these are very basic questions (sorry) but that fella I was talking to made a lot of confident statements without providing evidence, so now I am unsure.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Yes the gridded area should match also to determine your oil level. The length is important so that the end does not hit any spinning components in the engine, you cannt puncture the dipstick tube. Does the dipstick you found match the original?