1994 Sunbird Radio Install

O7 DOYLE 7O

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any videos on how to replace the head unit in a 88-94 sunbird? I've got everything pulled out and still can't seem to figure out just how to do this

leeland04

Reaction score
You want to install an aftermarket head unit, right? If it's anything like mine, factory radio is a little 4" x 4" square thing, I'm pretty sure any aftermarket head unit needs to be installed in the center console where your factory tape deck/CD player is (directly in front of the shifter). You'll need a Sunbird-specific plastic mounting kit, and wiring harness adapter, from a company like Scosche. You'd then splice all the wires from that wire harness adapter to the corresponding wires on your aftermarket head unit's harness. Then just plug it in.

I assume you'll actually have to pull out the factory radio temporarily, just to unplug the wiring harness from the back, and snake it down to your new head unit in the center console.

I haven't actually done this on mine, but I might be looking to. And I saw a video of a sunbird that had a an aftermarket head unit installed in the center console where the tape deck usually goes. I "think" that's how you'd have to do it.

O7 DOYLE 7O

Reaction score
Dash radio or cassette deck in the console..?

Doug in P.R.
It has the cassette deck, but even after removing it I can't really make sense of how to hook it up.

O7 DOYLE 7O

Reaction score
You want to install an aftermarket head unit, right? If it's anything like mine, factory radio is a little 4" x 4" square thing, I'm pretty sure any aftermarket head unit needs to be installed in the center console where your factory tape deck/CD player is (directly in front of the shifter). You'll need a Sunbird-specific plastic mounting kit, and wiring harness adapter, from a company like Scosche. You'd then splice all the wires from that wire harness adapter to the corresponding wires on your aftermarket head unit's harness. Then just plug it in.

I assume you'll actually have to pull out the factory radio temporarily, just to unplug the wiring harness from the back, and snake it down to your new head unit in the center console.

I haven't actually done this on mine, but I might be looking to. And I saw a video of a sunbird that had a an aftermarket head unit installed in the center console where the tape deck usually goes. I "think" that's how you'd have to do it.
That's also what I thought, but I really can't seem to get any of the pieces to fit into the adapter I bought. I definitely have the right one but I can't figure out how they're supposed to fit together in any configuration.

leeland04

Reaction score
I just did mine this evening. Here's a pic of what it looks like.

It can be a little confusing because the factory head unit in a Sunbird isn't just one single piece. The actual tuner is a gray metal box mounted vertically inside the dash, behind the radio and heat controls. It then has wire harnesses that go to the radio controls & the factory tape/CD deck.

When you take all the plastic trims off, and look through the cubby hole next to the radio, you'll see a gray metal box mounted back there. That's your tuner. Pic below. You'll need to unplug the antenna wire and the blue wire harness on the RIGHT side of that metal box. I just took the whole thing completely out, but I don't think you have to. If I remember correctly, the wire harness on the right side is the one for your speaker and power wires, and that's the one you'd use.

IMG_20210807_231419115_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210807_232536178.jpg

O7 DOYLE 7O

Reaction score
This was actually incredibly helpful and I've got it now after taking a second look. Thank you so much.

Dan_in_WA

Reaction score
FWIW, there is (was) a blank cover available from Pontiac that can go in place of the non-working factory head unit.

My wife’s car had a hole in the dash from someone ripping out the old factory stereo.

Fools with tools…