1996 Grand Am 2.4L - Coolant in Oil, Rough Idle

Superman32

I have a 1996 Gramd Am 2.4L.

I had a check engine light code P0112. It is an air sensor code, but didn't have any issues except for a little rough idle.

I ordered a sensor and while I was waiting for it to come in, I was driving to work and getting on the onramp, the car went to upshift and then the power just died. I thought the car itself had stalled, but it just lost a lot of power. When I got to a stoplight it had a struggling idle (it was choking out).

I got to work and checked the coolant and oil and notice some coolant in the oil. I drove it home and haven't used it since.

I'm thinking the problem is the headgasket, but the only issues I know of is the coolant in the oil and bad idle. It doesn't exhibit any other symptoms of a blown head gasket. Is that possible, or is there anything else it could be?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
do a compression test and get a coolant hydrocarbon test kit to see if the head gasket is blown

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
He stated a 2.4 in his post, title and first line, thanks.

Superman32

It seems forgot to mention, when I checked the oil, I also saw some red debris (dried rubber type material), which I figured is gasket material. I heard about Grand Ams having the air intake issue, so after I saw the debris, I thought it may be that gasket, but after removing the air intake and checking the gasket, the gasket looked good and it wasn't red.

So there are quite a few things that are leading me to believe that it is a gasket, and in particular the head gasket. But the only issue is the lack or typical symptoms for the head gasket. I was just wondering if there were any ideas for such a situation, since it seems to be an uncommon one.

I have had the car since it was new and it is now 22 years old, so now maybe it is time to replace the head gasket. It has a valve cover leak somewhere, so I was already planning to fix that and from what I know, once you're there, the head gasket isn't too much work past that for this particular vehicle.

92 Sunbird LE

Have the head checked for cracks , might have internal ones and straightness while you have it off. (Piece of mind-priceless;) )

Doug in P.R.:)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.