1997 GT smells like gas, how big a job?

Dan_in_WA

Reaction score
My son-in-law’s 1997 Grand Prix GT apparently needs new fuel hose(s) installed, he says he smells a strong odor of gas.

I haven’t seen the car yet, as he is a 7 hour drive away. Is this a major job on the supercharged 3.8L engine? I’m gathering information on this job and this site is one of my first stops. Is there a service manual online or do I need to search eBay?

Any special tools needed? Any pitfalls I need to be aware of? Thanks in advance.

cammerjeff

Reaction score
Hard to say without knowing where the leak is? Underhood, under the car, gas tank? On out 99 GTP the only gas leak we had was a rusted like under the car.

If you do have a bad hard line and need to replace/repair it you will probably need the gm fuel line disconnect tool that costs about $20. You may get lucky and it may just be a leak at the fuel filter located under the car. That would be an easy fix!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Driving 7 hours with a gas leak doesn't sound like the safest thing to do.

Dan_in_WA

Reaction score
Driving 7 hours with a gas leak doesn't sound like the safest thing to do.
Copy that!

I got on eBay and ordered a set of factory service manuals. Talked to the kids today, it’s at a shop now.

There’s more wrong than just the fuel leak, the power steering is out as well.

The shop estimate for fixing the fuel leak and replacing the power steering pump and hoses came to between $2500 and $3500! 😲💩

Kelley Blue Book says it’s worth $2268 or so, at best.

I’ll have them see what the cost is to repair the fuel leak only. One spark and the thing would go up like a torch. I’ll travel to it and bring my tools for the power steering.

Edit: Just found out it won’t start, either. Don’t know if it cranks. May have to haul it home to my shop if my son-in-law wants to keep it.

Same trans (except HD version) as in my wife’s Montana. Wonder if the car still has 4th gear? That’s fun to fix, and takes more than a weekend!

Last edited:

Dan_in_WA

Reaction score
Anyone know the secret to getting a new power steering return line back into the car, without dropping the back of the subframe like the factory service manual suggests?

I cut the hose between the cooling coil loop and the steel line that goes to the rack to get the old one out. As a last resort I’ll cut a hose clamp, disassemble the new one and do it that way, but I’d rather not.