1998 grand prix gtp pace car edition

htseat2000

st. peters
so I bought this 1998 grand prix gtp with 168K miles from the tow company for 650.00. it had been abanonded by a young kid at a parking lot down the street. kid tried selling on facebook so i was trying to negotiate while the car was at tow company. supposdly the serpentine belts broke causing it to break down on him. he stripped the coil packs and plug wires off of it too. so long story short, i purchased the grand prix from tow company, installed new belts, new power steering pump, new plug wires, coil packs, plugs, changed the oil, new antifreeze, new iac sensor, and new intake sensor. well I went to try and fire it up yesterday and doesn't even want to start. I have fuel pressure cause i hear the pump running, and has compression, but won't attempt to start. any ideas would be helpful. i am almost wondering if it is igntion control module or crank sensor.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
do you have a security/theft light on?
why did you change all those parts if the car wont start? just guessing?
did you do a fuel pressure test?
did you test for a spark at the plugs?
do you have a scan tool and if so any codes?

htseat2000

st. peters
to your have a security/theft light on?
why did you change all those parts if the car wont start? just guessing?
did you do a fuel pressure test?
did you test for a spark at the plugs?
do you have a scan tool and if so any codes?
Because those parts didn’t exist on the car when I got it from tow company, and the pully knub was out of power steering pumps. Security light is not on. I didn’t do a fuel pressure test but I hear it running and it squirts out the pressure relief valve on engine. Scan tool only revealed low voltage on tank pressure sensor. I have not checked for spark yet.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
10 psi will squirt out the valve, car wont start, you need to determine if you really have sufficient fuel pressure and spark.

htseat2000

st. peters
You won’t believe this. Did all the checks and every part was good. Still wouldn’t start. So I thought I have nothing to loose. I’ll take intake off and spray a shot of starting fluid in it. Fired right up. Ran smooth as can be for not running for 10 months. No engine light guts except low coolant. Drove it around neighborhood and shifts and drives fine. Amazing for 650 bucks. Grant it I have to replace rack and pinion unit and oil pan gasket because they leaking bad but it now runs. I even let it sit 24 hours and it fired right up with no starting fluid.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
weird, I wonder if the fuel rail had some sort of air lock but cannt imagine why it wouldnt have purged with all the start attempts.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.