• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2.4L Valve Cover Removal

Rhino61466

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am 2.4L. Pulled my plugs today and found oil on plug 2. I was wondering if anyone had a video on how to remove the valve cover on one of these engines? I want to check/replace all the seals.

Roadrunner

San Jose CA
I am some what an expert on these motors..2.4 twin cam "Quad 4 variant"..The valve cover or "covers" since there is 2, is timely to do and alot must been done to change it..you have to take the motor mount the timing components out to change the valve gasket..depending on how many miles the car has it's best to do a complete head job..because once you take the bolts that hold the valve assembly apart all you need to do is pull 10 bolts off the head to remove it...but what is needed, they do not sell alone but in a set..which comes with the head gasket and all parts needed to do the job..

RobertGary1

I am some what an expert on these motors..2.4 twin cam "Quad 4 variant"..The valve cover or "covers" since there is 2, is timely to do and alot must been done to change it..you have to take the motor mount the timing components out to change the valve gasket..depending on how many miles the car has it's best to do a complete head job..because once you take the bolts that hold the valve assembly apart all you need to do is pull 10 bolts off the head to remove it...but what is needed, they do not sell alone but in a set..which comes with the head gasket and all parts needed to do the job..
While I agree the job is harder than in most vehicles I think you've over stated it alot. For instance, the FSM does not recommend removing any timing components.

From the FSM...
"Disconnect, but do NOT remove from the vehicle, the timing chain housing at the intake camshaft housing."

-Robert

G

G-254098

How do you take the housing unit off on a 2001 Pontiac grand am

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
which housing unit, if you read through this thread there are two mentioned, timing chain and camshaft.
What are you trying to do?

Gyngerbredman

I'm replacing my valve cover gaskets and having trouble getting valve cover off. Do i have to Remove timing chain Cover to get to something Inside holding it in place?