2001 Pontiac Montana Transmission went out (want to get rid of it)

Dystonic

Hello, my Montana just lost 1st gear. It's been a great van for us. Tan leather on tan exterior. It has about 105,000 original miles (an elderly couple owned it before us). We've maintained it very well with regular oil changes and just changed the battery. But, at this point we don't want to pay to replace the transmission (I was quoted around $2500-$3000). It still drives just starts in 2nd gear. Doesn't shift hard or anything.

I'm somewhat new to this forum. Is there an interest in this? I'm thinking I'll just sell to the local junkyard.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Did you get a second estimate?
How do you know it's not a shift solenoid issue and you dont need to replace the transmission?
Did you ever do the fluid and filter change plus Lucas additive as was recommended to you in your first post?
If you still want to sell it advertise it locally.

Dystonic

Did you get a second estimate?
How do you know it's not a shift solenoid issue and you dont need to replace the transmission?
Did you ever do the fluid and filter change plus Lucas additive as was recommended to you in your first post?
If you still want to sell it advertise it locally.
Thanks Mel. Yep, I got two estimates (and based on research here) I asked specifically about replacing the shift solenoid. Both shops said based on their test drives that wasn't the issue. After you responded to the last post I had the shop replace the fluid and filter (but a couple weeks later first gear went out). Appreciate the responses and assistance!