• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2002 Grand Am GT 4 Door Sedan Won't Start

VincentNovick12

in 2009 I went outside to go to work, I got in the car turned the key in the ignition and... nothing. I tried everything, I replaced the engine (a lot of money), changed the oil, charged the battery, flushed the whole thing out (cooling system, gas tank, oil, transmission etc.) and it still won't start! the only thing I haven't messed with is the computer, fuse box, and starter/ignition (I'm a mechanic, not a computer scientist) I'm not sure why I haven't considered replacing the starter/ignition, probably because I'm to pissed off about it to think straight. here I am in September of 2019 about $5,000 later and I'm still stumped about how my car won't start!IMG_0989.JPGIMG_0989.JPG

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Why did you change the engine in 2009?
Am I understanding you correctly that this car has sat for 9 years without running?
When you say it wont start, do you mean it is totally dead when you turn the ignition key or it turns over but wont ignite?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Did you test the battery with a voltmeter?
Do the lights work?
Did you pull the starter and do a bench test?

VincentNovick12

the lights and radio work fine so obviously the battery works. but it dosen't turn over when I turn the key so I'm guessing its the starter because I haven't touched the starter yet

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
The radio and lights draw far less power than a starter.
Have you tested anything with a voltmeter, battery voltage, voltage at the starter solenoid when key is turned to crank, etc.?
Have you checked if any of the fuse boxes have a starter relay?

Last edited:

VincentNovick12

I haven't used a volt meter or bench tested anything yet and I'm not really the type that does fancy pants voltmeter and bench tests, but I did clean all the fuses with contact cleaner but that didn't really do anything. I'm guessing that the starter fuse could be blown and defective?? I'm not really sure.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Not sure if anybody can be of help over the internet if you think basic tests any mechanic does is "fancy pants voltmeter and bench test ".
Did you actually change the engine yourself?