2002 ta lacking hp

W

weand1

im looking for more horsepower, everthing is factory except flo masters, any tips would help,thanks

Is it lacking horsepower, or just not producing the amount you want? There's always mods you can do to juice up the horses, though remember that the proof is actually the torque at the wheels. There's several threads about adding horses, I'm pretty sure. Also it'd help if you described the car and engine a bit more so that more detailed info could be given.

Above all, have fun with it. It's a Pontiac, after all.:D

tim99ws6

Nashville, Tn
very simple, here's some GREAT cheap mods proven to imporve ET and mph....

1) Flowtech 3" cutout installed in the I-pipe-$35, and DEFINATELY flows better than your flowmaster(proven to flow the same CFM as a stock muffler)

2) Air lid-$120-good for about 10-20 AT THE WHEELS, and removes the clutter of the stock setup

3) is it a M6 car? get a shifter, and a short stick-$300-driver mod

4) Drag radials....obvious reasons.

S

SilverWS6

Get a cam. For around $200 and you will see an incredible increase in both power and torque.

tim99ws6

Nashville, Tn
Unless he has the basic supporting mods(headers AT LEAST) he will see nothing more than a complete waste of money from putting a cam in the car. if he wants to get quick cheap HP, the NOS #5177 kit does that...~!

W

weand1

thanks for all the posts, its something to start with, and i will get back with the results of the changes i make, thanks

E

ernie22golf

Nos #5199

Hey,
What about this kit - who makes it and how tough to install and how hard on engine?
Thanks

tim99ws6

Nashville, Tn
x_spearmint said:
don't forget the ecu, pick up a hypertech for about $350.

Don't get a hypertech, waste of time, money, and HP. If you wanna tune a car, get EFIlive, or Hp tuners. both are in the same price range, allow VASTLY more tuning abilities, and guarentee hp increase.;)

tim99ws6

Nashville, Tn
http://hptuners.com/

this is probably the leading tuning software right now. EFI live is very good too. both are programs that you load onto a labtop, and scan/program/make changes from there. Depending on where you're at, i can probably recommend a good custom tuner that can dyno tune the car in for you.

U

Unregistered

jacksonville, FL

X

x_spearmint

what do you guys think about the crane cams tuner? It's realtively cheap and just something I'm thinking about to get me by until I get the turbo on the car, at which point I'll probably pick up EFIlive. I'm also considering some actual crane cams. I was also thinking that this guy with the power issue might want to look into new gears, maybe something from Richmond Gears, what do you think? I'm considering picking up some 4.10's myself.

tim99ws6

Nashville, Tn
first of all, you only need 1 cam. Richmond gears are ok, but are notorious for being loud. If/when you do upgrade you gears, you need to get a aftermarket rear cover, and something with pinion support to help it. Be warned with 4.10s or higher, the teeth are VERY small int he stock 7.5" 10 bolt, and are easily chipped off when you try to hook up from a hole shot on them. Motive gears are supposedly a little better than richmond in fit and sound, but not quite as strong. I ran 3.73 Motive's in my old stock 10 bolt setup. Never had any problems with them.

Handheld Tuners are'nt anything more than a paperweight. A mail order tune from any of the BIG LSx sponsors will get you alot farther than those things ever will, please trust me on that.

my tuner of choice is Scott Culbert. he owns Gen3Performance....

check out his website. He tuned my high compression nitrous motor with ease.

http://gen3performance.net/

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.