• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2003 grand am axle stub shaft removal.

Rfc1962

2003 grand am with auto transmission. I was changing the axle assemby. Removed from transaxle without any problems. I notice the output shaft seal to be a bit wet so decided to change that seal. That's where it gets dicey. I would like to pull the stub axle shaft out to replace the the wear bushing as well. Does that stub shaft pop out like it it popped out of the end of the CV assembly? Or do I have to pull the pan to remove a, snap ring or something? I've tried prying on the outer snap ring to pull it out but no avail. I was going to make something to attach to the end of the stub shaft to attempt to use a slide hammer to pop it out but was afraid it may cause damage inside. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Mike F

Rfc1962

The CV joint assembly came out like that. But the stub axle stayed in the trans. I thought it was held in the same way it was engaged to the CV assembly. I even made a soft jaw set up with a pair of vise grips and attached a slide hammer to it and got a couple good smacks before the Vise grips pulled off and it seemed solid.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Look at this video, he uses two pry bars and the stub came out with the axle, go to about 16 minutes

Rfc1962

Yes exactly. I did just that but unfortunately it pulled the CV axle out of the spud. They attach the same way. I ended up making a tool to grip the snap ring land on spud axle and utilize a slide hammer. Came out nicely on the second smack. Replaced the seal and it's back together. Thanks for your input. I've attached a few pics of the tool. Not sure if they will load properly. Mike D.

Attachments