2003 grand prix

C

corey22

I bought my car up north, and moved to desert region of the states. My temp gage has started to rise, and get above the half way point. So, I had my cooliant flushed, and it seemed fine for a month or two,but I notice when I sit in traffic, it rises. What should I do???

A

a5150nut

Lowering the thermostat temp will cause you not to pass smog. Pull the radiator and blow out the condensor and radiator. Make sure your fan is working properly. Now days these things come with single core radiators. You may need to get a larger radiator, posibly after market.:rolleyes:

C

corey22

I took my car in, the said the water pump was leaking, and the intake manifold gasket was leaking, the fixed the problem, however i was driving my car home from the dealer ship, and it is still running hot. my car use to run at about 175, and now it is running all over the place. anywhere from 175 to over 210. the dealer ship said that my car is supose to run hot, but it never has until i moved to NV.

T

tygeverink

Just wondering if this may have anything to do with the recall notice that I received a few months back (I have an 01 Gran Prix GT) it had to do with a cooling/coolant problem. Otherwise, it does get hot in NV, and that could be a factor... Doesn't sound like the dealer helped much, but I'll bet that cost a pretty penny. Wish I could be of more help. Good luck.

1BADLT-1

Reaction score
ive noticed that newer pontiacs hyave a 180 degree thermo in them. which meens that the thermostat isnt fully open until 195-200. 200 is in the middle of the gauge, which isnt overheating, if you are so worried about it over heating id go with a 180 degree thermostat

TropicDave

Reaction score
Remember, too, that the radiator acts to transfer heat from the coolant to the outside air. As has been pointed out, you're now living in Nevada, as opposed to the cooler northern states. The temperature differential is less than what it used to be, so the thermal transfer takes longer, and the car won't cool down as much. When you sit at a light, you're not getting the additional cooling that the airflow from driving at speed creates, just from your fans. So it's not unusual to me that it's running warmer. My '92 Grand Prix runs between 180 and 210 all the time, and I tend to not worry about it - of course, it's a beater car, so I tend not to worry about it much at all...:D