• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2003 Sunfire Automatic Transmission

BenanaNunya

I put the front end on jack stands to change the sway bar links, and immediately after setting it down and test driving it, the transmission lurches forward from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. It's now been doing it for a few days. It also is loud and lurchy when shifting in general (Park to reverse, neutral to reverse, neutral to drive, etc...)

I bought the car a year ago with 100k miles and have put about 30k miles since then, have not had a single trans or motor issue until now. I don't want to rip apart the trans or pay someone to do it if anyone has an easier and cheaper solution. Thanks!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Have you checked the fluid level?
Does the fluid smell burnt?
Has the transmission filter and fluid been changed ?

BenanaNunya

The fluid level is good
Im assuming no one has ever changed it. I was going to do that today.
Fluid does smell burnt but this didn't ease into havin an issue, it just started violently shifting all of a sudden.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I have no definite answer other than the vehicle was at an angle which could have caused grit in the pan to shift. Some people report using Lucas transmission treatment helps, not the sealant product.

BenanaNunya

Yea this happened before right after I lifted the front end. The trans lurch "corrected" itself a few days later but this time it's worse. I'm gonna drop the pan and change the fluid that's in that, add the lucas trans treatment. Hopefully this does something. Thanks