• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2004 Grand Am won't shift out of park

sporta

Nevada
Hey all
I have an ' 04 Grand Am that all of a sudden will not shift out of park. Wife drove it to and from work last Thursday with no issues. On Friday morning, she went out to go to work, and the car would not shift out of park and she had parked behind our 2nd car.

Quick google search revealed a couple things to check, first was the brake switch (seems to work fine) other was the button mech on the shifter. I was able to get the bezel off around the shifter and when the button is pressed, it looks like the arm does not move quite far enough to disengage. I was able to press on the side of the arm and was able to drive it forward enough to get the Durango out so she could go to work. Once back in parrk, it locks up solid again. If I have the brake on while running and push the button on the shifter and apply pressure to the arm it will move fine.My question is, is there some adjustment to make so that it will easily operate again?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
do your brake lights work?
does the solenoid in the console release when you have the engine running and you step on the brake?

sporta

Nevada
do your brake lights work?
does the solenoid in the console release when you have the engine running and you step on the brake?

Brake lights work. With the engine running and the brake on, when I squeeze the shifter button there is an arm that moves to release the lock but it doesn't seem to move far enough. Gentle pressure and it shifts out fine.

sporta

Nevada
Ok, took the boot off and here is what I've found. It appears that the rod in the center of the shifter doesn't depress far enough. In picture labeled "Shifter 1" you can see where the cable is with the knob on. Picture labeled "Shifter 2" shows how much farther the cable moves when pressing fully on the rod. Picture labeled "Shifter 3" just shows the same as "Shifter 1" only with the know shown. Could it be the shift knob is worn out? Sometimes if you press down hard on the top of the shifter knob while pressing the button it will shift as normal. Is there an adjustment I can make or should I just order a replacement knob and see if that fixes the problem??

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
is the "U" shaped metal clip that holds the shift knob on still in place?
Not aware of any adjustment, you would have to look in a service manual.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
If you remove the knob and manually press on the rod in the center of the shifter does it move to all gears.

sporta

Nevada

Attachments