• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2004 Grand Am Won't Start

Corykll

ok everybody here is something that I am hoping ya'll can help me with; I have a 2004 Grand Am SE1 3.4 V6 that till about three months ago I have had no problems with except a rear head gasket. Well, I came home in it and parked it and when I went to get back in it.... NOTHING... All my dash lights come on like they always have but when you churn the jet to crank it.... NOTHING!! Needless to say I have replaced the starter, whole ignition all three parts, neutral safety switch, battery, Starter relay, and check all fuses. Still nothing. Just like the day I parked it. You put the key in and all the gilts come on like before but no start. The security light is on but not blinking. It usually goes off after I start the car, if I cloud start it. I have put in on an ODB and there are no codes. I have even went as far as pulling out the fuse box under the hood to make sure there is nothing burnt or melted. NOPE PERFECT!!! I know there is someone out there that has had this same problem and figured it out after all the cussing and fussing that I have been threw. I love my Grand Am and it has never put in on the side of the road. I think that is why what ever is going on with it waited till i park in in the driveway. PLEASE HELP!!!

kcstbb91

Dayton, OH
ok everybody here is something that I am hoping ya'll can help me with; I have a 2004 Grand Am SE1 3.4 V6 that till about three months ago I have had no problems with except a rear head gasket. Well, I came home in it and parked it and when I went to get back in it.... NOTHING... All my dash lights come on like they always have but when you churn the jet to crank it.... NOTHING!! Needless to say I have replaced the starter, whole ignition all three parts, neutral safety switch, battery, Starter relay, and check all fuses. Still nothing. Just like the day I parked it. You put the key in and all the gilts come on like before but no start. The security light is on but not blinking. It usually goes off after I start the car, if I cloud start it. I have put in on an ODB and there are no codes. I have even went as far as pulling out the fuse box under the hood to make sure there is nothing burnt or melted. NOPE PERFECT!!! I know there is someone out there that has had this same problem and figured it out after all the cussing and fussing that I have been threw. I love my Grand Am and it has never put in on the side of the road. I think that is why what ever is going on with it waited till i park in in the driveway. PLEASE HELP!!!
Reading your post and this is so me as well..I've r replaced everything you have mentioned including LIM AND the head. Check your drive belt for tension. If the tensioner pulley is too loose the car won't run. The bolt or hole could be stripped out check all. Are you getting spark? Fuel? Air? Compression? Sometimes you gotta step away from it for a min and have aggravation settle.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You seem to be replacing lots of parts but make no mention if you are doing any testing with a voltmeter or test light.
Did you bench test the starter before replacing it?
When you turn the key to the start position are you getting a voltage reading at the starter solenoid?

Corykll

Reading your post and this is so me as well..I've r replaced everything you have mentioned including LIM AND the head. Check your drive belt for tension. If the tensioner pulley is too loose the car won't run. The bolt or hole could be stripped out check all. Are you getting spark? Fuel? Air? Compression? Sometimes you gotta step away from it for a min and have aggravation settle.
I am not sure all i can tell you is that my brother came over and jumped it at the starter and made it crank. It ran for a dew seconds and went dead. We have checked everything that we can think of. Someone told me that it could be a SECURITY LOCK OUT since I replaced the whole ignition When you turn the ket to ACC before you start the engine security light is on but is NOT blinking. I ended up putting a whole new ignition in the car. Even got new keys. I was also told that it could be passlock feature as well. Ill tell you one thing. Whom ever invent that should be shot were they stand at. The car has been a great car. I purchased it from my step mom 7 years ago and all i have ever had to do to is is the heads and that was at 243,000 miles which was last year. Well and the regular maintenance. Other than that it has been GREAT!! I have 14 year old twins (girl and boy) and would love to pass it to my girl twin.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
If you replaced the ignition switch along with the passlock sensor how did you program the ECM to recognize the new keys?
You never answered the questions concerning actually testing things with a voltmeter or test light.
You never answered the questions concerning test for fuel pressure and spark.
If your brother got it to crank and then it died, you have a dead battery.

nana3

I had the same problem, except mine started and died 2-3 seconds later, I never had the no crank issue, but I did have the security light NOT flashing, but with the key in the "on" position it was solid. This car drove us crazy for a month and $500 dollars later I FINALLY figured it out... It was the BCM! I suggest you pull the BCM (NOT PCM) it's on the passengers side under the kick panel (glove box) there are 3 sets of wire plug ins, unplug them and slide the BCM off the bracket. Check the BCM and the 3 sets of wires at for any green (that is where water got in) if there is, get some electrical cleaner, make sure it's electrical cleaner (aresol can) and clean it, you can try and hook it back up and see if it'll start, if not, you need to pull the # off the BCM and go to O'Reilly's website and put in your car info and that you're looking for a BCM and it'll tell you what #'s will interchange with your BCM... I've inclosed a picture of the # on the BCM you need to look for, yours might be a different #, so whatever the # is that is where I circled on this bcm is the # on yours you need to match... Mine in the car was 12206829 and the only ones that would work were these 2 #'s 9351269 , 22684971. The 22684971 is the one we found in a car exactly like ours and it worked! We got ours from the local junkyard for $35. I suggest you try this and see if it's not the problem. Ours effortlessly did the relearn process and she started right up and runs like a gem again! I will tell you when you put the new BCM in, do NOT try and start the car, put the key in and turn it to "on" the security WILL flash for approximately 10-11 minutes and then it'll go solid then it'll go off, when it goes off, turn the key to OFF, wait 30 seconds and try and start it, it should start if this was your problem like it was ours... Good luck and let me how it worked!

Attachments