2004 Grand Prix GTP Comp G issues, help!

Reaction score
So im buying this GTP Comp G from a buddy of mine, and getting it for 1500. OBVS need some love and work, but does run and drive....normalish. I compiled a list of things ive noticed. Any insight, advice, and direction on what to do would be great!

When motor is cold:
- Long ass start (like how those newer corvettes do)
- Squeaky Belt (Suspect is a pulley that helps direct the belt, located on the belt that is connected to the supercharger)
- Revs just fine
- As soon as its in drive, the car has a loss of power (even at full push), jerky, stalling occurs, constant 2 step noises and gauges sometimes reset for a brief second before coming back to life
- Strange, one time occurrences. Cant really go into depth, but one is if it stalls, it must be pushed to be put back into park. refuses to even acknowledge being started (no lights, dash, and gauge reset as a normal starting) if not pushed.

When motor is warmed up to temp:
- Squeaky belt noise stops completely
- Revs just fine
- All motor and power issues stop
- Drives normal (Define normal?)
- Noticeable rear-end jumping up and down at a certain speed. stops if under or over speed
- Somewhat noticeable bumpy as if a tire was off balance, coming from the rear
- OBVS a fuckin miss-fire (on 4. tested by unplugging coil pack, shocked myself but no change in engine performance)
- the gauge flicker stops
- diesel noises coming from the motor? deft not a knocking or ping, more of...a diesel sorta sound. (Suspect is the supercharger, but have yet to determine real cause)
- lastly, all interior lights, window button lights, and gear shifting light (middle console area) do not work at all. but dash, gauge, and middle dash works just fine, as also mirror adjustment lights. No idea why just yet.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Do you have a check engine light on?
Is the engine up to date with tuneup, plugs, plug wires, filters, etc.?
You will have to determine cause of squeaky belt, bad bearing, old belt.
Check battery cable connections on both ends of cables.
How old are the struts?
You dont test misfire by unplugging coil, good way to damage coil.
Has the supercharger oil ever been changed?
Have you looked for blown fuses?

Reaction score
No engine light. Will be doing tune up tomorrow, including new terminals, Will be checking supercharger oil tomorrow as well, and I have replaced all relays and fuses. Will check out the struts on my break.i haven't bought it yet, just tryna get it running right