2004 Intermittent No Crank

bcwaller

Just bought a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire with 133,000 miles. I was able to fix some issues, but have been vexed by one that is intermittent. So far three times it has been totally unresponsive when turning the key to start.

Turn the key and silence. Lights work, battery is relatively new and tested good. There is no relay click.

I am guessing it could be wiring, the ignition switch, or maybe a neutral safety switch. After trying a few times, moving the shifter around, etc. it just starts as if nothing was wrong.

Searching the forums I did not see lots of similar posts. Any thoughts on where I should start?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Next time it happens try starting in neutral, my guess the neutral safety switch or the ignition switch.
I assume you made sure the battery connections are clean and tight.

bcwaller

Thanks for the ideas. I know the battery is good because the first time it happened I took the battery back to be checked out. So even it it was bad the first time, the second time I know I did it right, and checked the cables as best I could at the battery side. But headlights and everything else powered was good.

I was thinking about the neutral safety switch since I just rebuilt mine on my 1967 Chevelle last weekend.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
thats why I suggested holding the key on the start position as you move the shifter to eliminate the chance it is the neutral safety switch

bcwaller

Good news? It's happening more often. Shift lever didn't seem to help. If it is still not starting, I can try to "hot wire" the starter to see if it is in the wiring before the starter or not.

bcwaller

Surprisingly it took just an hour to install including set up and clean up. I assumed it should take about an hour, but something would go wrong causing delays. My biggest problem was that my metric socket extension was not long enough to reach the top blind bolt, so I had to use my 5/8" six point socket. But since that worked, I was OK.

For anyone doing a starter swap on an Ecotec, the trick I used to get the top starter bolt back in was to use some paper to hold the bolt into the socket, and then have the bolt, socket, and extension all in place in the starter when you put it in place. Since it lines up pretty well, I was able to start the bolt easily. Once the top bolt was in, I did the wires, then the bottom bolt, then snugged both bolts. That was it.