2004 pontiac grand am -broken windshield wiper linkage bushing?

K

Katie S

The little plastic bushing that holds the apparatus together is broken, so the windshield wiper on my driver's side doesn't work anymore. we've tried superglue and such, but it doesn't stick. The only bushings I can find are on Ebay, and I don't know if they'll fit my Grand Am. Nowhere else sells them by themselves. I read somewhere I could cut the round top off of the bushing and hold it together with a cotter pin, would that work? Everywhere else will only sell the whole transmission, instead of just the linkage arm or the plastic bushing. Any advice? Once again, my car is a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am.

Goatman

GM/ASE service/body Tech
Janesville Wi
If GM doe's not offer them you may be stuck buying a transmission unit ..
thats just the way they are when it's an item that usually does not fail ..
it would probably be cheeper to buy a used transmission unit form a salvage yard ..

La Pintura

This is totally fixable - here's how....

I just had the same problem and was able to make the repair myself for less than $3.

I went to Pep Boys and found the HELP! brand of "Wiper Linkage Bushing Assortment." It has 10 assorted bushings for Chrysler, Ford, GM, and Jeep. The one that fit on my car was one of the larger ones in the lot.

The item number for the HELP! product is 49447.

I had gone to 2 dealerships and a junk yard and they all told me I needed to buy the entire assembly since the part was not sold individually. I knew that couldn't be correct, so persistence paid off.

Helpful tip: boil some water and place the bushing in it for a minute before you try to put it on. It really helps make the piece easier to slip/snap on. Done in a jiffy!

Tiffles

It worked!

I ended up in this forum 3 years after everyone posted, but with the same windshield wiper issue in my 2003 Pontiac Grand Am.

I read La Pintura's comments about buying the bushings from Pep Boys, boiling them to get them to stretch, and went to work on my car over Thanksgiving Break. It worked like a charm, and was easy enough for me (28 years old, non-car-inclined girl) to fix.

The mechanics quoted me over $400, and I paid $3 to Pep Boys. Thank you!

perrysrose

Me too!

I'm going to give this a go too. Rainy California and one wiper stopped. Guys at work tried to fix but looks like those bushing are worn. Crossing my fingers. $300 - $400 to have it done or $130 to buy the whole linkage for 2 plastic pieces is ridiculous.

Martesram

Bought Dormon 49447 from Amazon ($4.00 with $25 order if prime member or about $6 w/o $25 order), after reading above post from La Pintura. I followed his/her directions, and it worked so far for my driver side wiper. Thanks, saved me a lot of money. --- I have a 2004 Sunfire.

Last edited:

chansen

Bushing broke on driver side grand am 2004

I am having the same problem as the above. I bought the bushing assortment from Help! and the same lot # but could not get it on last night. Please help!! What do I need to do? I don't want to replace the whole mechanism because of a $4 plastic bushing! Thanks

EaOutlaw

changing the bushing should be easy, do like the person that found the Help bushing set mentioned and soak the new bushing in some hot to boiling water to soften it up some.
You may want to remove the transmission and do this on a bench then reinstall the transmission assembly as one piece.

to try and do it in place is possible if you have the right tools and small enough hands.

I personally like to remove the entire transmission and replace all the bushings at one time.

To make pressing it in easier heat up the bushing like mentioned then use two sockets and a arbor press or C clamp vise grips to act as a press. tape or hot glue the sockets to the vise grips.

this is hard to explain by typing but if your mechanical inclined the socket and vise grip method should be self explanatory

chansen

Thanks

I appreciate the quick feedback. I tried it in place last night and could not get it to pop in. I will try your advice. Everything I read says that they don't make a bushing for the 04 grand am, so I was hoping it would pop right in. thanks again!

chansen

Thanks! I will try this. I was hoping it would be easy for someone that is mechanically inclined, is was not last night, I may have to take out the whole transmission.

EaOutlaw

They do not make one for a 04 grand am, the bushing kit you purchased from help is generic in nature and may require some tinkering to get it to work for you.

Pontiacguy1

changing the bushing should be easy, do like the person that found the Help bushing set mentioned and soak the new bushing in some hot to boiling water to soften it up some.
You may want to remove the transmission and do this on a bench then reinstall the transmission assembly as one piece.

to try and do it in place is possible if you have the right tools and small enough hands.

I personally like to remove the entire transmission and replace all the bushings at one time.

To make pressing it in easier heat up the bushing like mentioned then use two sockets and a arbor press or C clamp vise grips to act as a press. tape or hot glue the sockets to the vise grips.

this is hard to explain by typing but if your mechanical inclined the socket and vise grip method should be self explanatory
This method might work if the chinese made parts don't crumble under the small amount of pressure. I tried this three times and the part failed under pressure each time. Save time and aggravation,go buy a new or used assembled linkage and be done.

Pontiacguy1

This might work if the chinese made parts don't fail under pressure. I tried it and the parts crumble under pressure. Save time and trouble, go buy a used or new assembled linkage and be done.

bcwaller

Here's an alternative that I just did this weekend. I pulled the full transmission from the car, drilled and tapped the hinge where the bushing would connect, and bolted it back together with what I had lying around. Not factory, and likely will rattle, but you could get the right sized washer in plastic or delrin and make it nice. But this will outlast the rest of the car.

Attachments