2005 Grand Am SE V6 Cruise Control not working

pigspushmongo

Reaction score
hey everyone, i'll try to keep this as condensed as possible with my limited knowledge.

(for context my cruise control module is located at the bottom of the steering wheel under the horn/airbag)

about 2 years ago when i first got my car, the signal assembly would make the turning signal ticking sound at random and was very annoying, so i just got an OEM replacement part and my grandpa and I set out on replacing it.
long story short, we got everything plugged in and working, and as my grandpa went to re seat it where it's supposed to be, there was a VERY faint little flash like something was shorted, and a very small amount of haze came from it. at the time it didn't seem like anything bad as we checked all the signal assembly controls (turn signal, highbeams, windshield wipers, etc.) and everything was in order.

fast forward about 4 months or so and i had realized that my cruise control was no longer working. i don't use it often and only noticed it since when i had used it before, the gas pedal would depress a little bit upon turning cruise control on.

i'm not 100% sure that the little flash was the cause of this, but i have since replaced all relevant fuses, all to no avail. however, when i press the button for cruise control, the light still comes on but just doesn't actually do anything.
any ideas?

much appreciated.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
First of all anything electrical should disconnect the battery first, too late now.
After you turn the cruise control on, what are you doing to set the cruise speed?

pigspushmongo

Reaction score
First of all anything electrical should disconnect the battery first, too late now.
After you turn the cruise control on, what are you doing to set the cruise speed?
yeah i realize now that i should have disconnected the battery but like you said, too late lol.

when my cruise control did work, it wouldn't kick in until about 80km/h. to start cruise control i would hit the on button, and the light would turn on inside the button. then i would either hit set, or resume/accelerate to pick the speed i wanted to set it at.

now however, when i press the cruise control button, the light still comes on, but the cruise control does not work. i've tried replacing all the necessarily fuses related to cruise control, all to no avail.

thanks for the response!

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Check whether your brake lights work, if they dont cruise control will not engage.
Beyond that removing the multifunction switch to see if a wire was pinched would be another possible cause.

pigspushmongo

Reaction score
Check whether your brake lights work, if they dont cruise control will not engage.
Beyond that removing the multifunction switch to see if a wire was pinched would be another possible cause.
my brake lights do still work, i replaced all the bulbs in them as well. i'll try getting at he cruise control switch tonight though and see if i can find anything. thanks!