2006 GP Passlock - Key STUCK GOOD!

KeeferCfer65

Reaction score
20210630_132315.jpg
Hi everyone,
Here's the story: my wife called me saying that the car wouldn't shut off. I asked if the car was in park, went through everything I could think of. I went to her place of employment to see if I could do anything to turn it off. Gear selector "button" down at the bottom of the shifter, under the sliding cover didn't do anything. No luck. I drove it home and after trying several times, I finally took the fuse out for the fuel pump after disconnecting the battery. I tried everything I found on the googler with no luck. As you can see, I removed the entire ignition cylinder and housing assembly in an attempt to get the cylinder out and replace it, re-keying it and letting the code learning begin. Obviously, the cylinder is still holding in place with the key. It's like Excalibur stuck in the rock.

My question is: is their ANY way to COMPLETELY bypass the password/passlock system on this '06 GP?

From what I've found, there is a way that has to do with cutting and rerouting a couple of wires but I'd rather not do that.

I can get a whole new assembly with everything, including the sensor on the side (I cracked the other one because, well, I know just enough to be dangerous) of the cylinder.

I'll have a locksmith rekey a new cylinder but if the whole thing can be bypassed, that would be a much better option for us since the key has been stuck before, but at least the car shut off & the key did come out eventually.

Thanks for any help in getting my butt out of this hole I dug even deeper than it was.

Keith

KeeferCfer65

Reaction score
Here's the replacement cylinder with the sensor. I'd have to take this to a locksmith. That plan is predicated on getting the old one out. Since this passkey/passcode anti-theft system seems to be a problem for this model GP, I'd rather bypass permanently it if possible.

Thanks again.

Keith

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
There is no way of bypassing without measuring resistance and splicing in resistor but you are having a mechanical issue so not sure what bypassing an anti theft feature will do. Take the whole assembly to the locksmith.

KeeferCfer65

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. That's my best option. I know a locksmith has the tools and the know how to handle something like this. I was hoping to go the cheaper DIY route, but that often ends up costing more after all is said and done.

Thanks again!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
You already have saved lots of money by not having the locksmith come to your car.

KeeferCfer65

Reaction score
You got THAT right! That's why I didn't want to get a mechanic involved from the very beginning, either. I'd rather live and learn something anyway.

Thanks for the reply!

KeeferCfer65

Reaction score
Thank you to you guys for helping out this guy. The situation has been resolved. Turns out that it was the ignition cylinder after all. I'm sure that mechanical sensor/relay/switch bit under the gear selector will fail at some point. I've seen that issue a lot.

Now I have to post another cry for help.

Keith

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Great to hear you're on the road again.

Last edited: