• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2006 pontiac torrent wont start

Afriendlyrock

bought the car from my family that never had any problems with it. went to orielys to get stuff for an oil change and car wouldnt start when trying to leave. had guy check engine codes and it threw a fuel pump code, a map sensor code and something about overvoltage or something.
tried starting fluid to see if it would help. it didnt. went ahead replaced the map sensor. still didnt work. took the battery terminals off for 5 minutes. and put them back on and the car started right up. worked fin the rest of the night. went to the store the next day and when I came out it didnt work. will crank for a second but wont get over 1000 rpm sputters pretty hard and dies quickly.

Afriendlyrock

Alright, it's been a bit since trying to work on it. Originally throwing a p0108. went ahead and bought a new map sensor. didnt solve the problem. Researched some more on the code. and someone mentioned that a new ECM would probably fix it. luckily it was relatively. Had it reprogrammed to my car and plugged it in. still didnt help it.
Moved on to looking at the fuel. originally using starter fluid (before the new ECM) would do nothing. but I went ahead and tried it again. and i actually got it to sputter. So I just defaulted to thinking the fuel pump was bad. sadly I was 3/4 of a tank. so to make things easier while changing the fuel pump I decided to try to siphon some gas.
Instead of trying to siphon with a hose, I thought "why the f$%k not see if the fuel pump would kick on for a sec and just detach the fuel line back near the tank. so I went ahead and got some wire and stuck it into the ( i think 30 and 87 )slots where the fuel pump relay goes (also brand new). and the fuel pump worked perfectly fine. got the tank to half full very quickly.
so I just thought alright maybe it will work now. I put the relay back in and it started for a sec and it shuttered hard and stopped.
after while of getting pissed off I said f$%k it and just went ahead and reattached the wire up to the pins and the thing started up and never sputtered once.
But obviously I cant just leave the fuel pump on all the time. So does anyone have any clue as to what might be the problem?

Attachments

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
After you replaced the map sensor did you clear the codes?
With the relay jumped and the engine running, do you have any new codes?
Do you have a wiring diagram of the fuel pump circuit?

Afriendlyrock

I did clear the codes after the new map sensor. and no I have not yet got it to throw any codes with it jumped but I havent ran it for longer than about 5 minutes with it jumped. and still looking for a diagram, the best I have is what is on the side of the Relay.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Is one of those wires going to the relay slot connected to the battery?
Your first post stated you had multiple codes, what were they?