2006 solstic

saszybich5l50

I'm really not sure the person I got it from lost the key then someone else started tearing in to the column so its kinda a mess but if I can disarm the security stuff then could I change the ignition. I really like this car and never gotten to drive it it looks so fun

Last edited by a moderator:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
the security system is part of the ignition switch so not sure what you are trying to do. Replace the ignition switch or have someone cut a new key for the vehicle based on the VIN and use the old switch.

saszybich5l50

When I got the car it did have a key I have a friend that does keys he kept trying to program the key but something else must be wrong. So I guess I'm wondering what I can do is there a way to change the ignition and bypass the security system or just I don't no what to do I for one don't have a lot of money

saszybich5l50

When I got the car it did have a key I have a friend that does keys he kept trying to program the key but something else must be wrong. So I guess I'm wondering what I can do is there a way to change the ignition and bypass the security system or just I don't no what to do I for one don't have a lot of money
I'm sorry I ment to say it did not have a key

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
did your friend make the key based upon the VIN number of the car?
have you considered going to a dealer and having them make you a key based on the VIN?
I assume the key turns in the ignition lock but the car does not start and the security light is lit?

saszybich5l50

Im really not sure how he was doing it he is a mobile locksmith he had the key but it would not program. Thank you for your help I guess I'll try maybe the dealer or maybe I don't no.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
How did you get this car home?
Did you actually see the engine running at any time before buying this car?

saszybich5l50

I got the car threw a trade and no it was not running cause of the key. A good friend said pryor to me getting it the car ran great. I really like this car I just don't have money to be messing with it if I can't figure out the problem. Im only gonna get a few chances to get it right.thank you for your help I no how can you truly help me when I have no idea what's wrong.with it.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Getting back to the current issue, if I understand you now have a key that will turn in the ignition lock but the car does not start?
Is the security light on when you attempt to start it?
Does you lock smith have the equipment to code the key to the vehicle based upon the VIN?
If not, has any attempt been made to buy a coded key at a GM dealer?