2006 Torrent has problems starting occasionally

iglet26

:confused: My 2006 Torrent will occasionally give me starting trouble. It only happens when I shut it off for short amounts of time and not all the time. Usually when it happens it's when I stop at the gas station. I turn off the ignition pump gas and then it won't start. It takes about 2-3 turns before it starts. This last time it wouldn't start for almost 10 minutes and after about 20 turns on the key I tried it one more time and this time I floored the gas pedal at the same time and it finally started. When I took it into the shop they hooked it up to a fuel pressure gauge for awhile but they could not get the problem to act up so they stopped looking. Please Help!!!!:eek:

JR-T

Iglet26,

I have the same problem occasionally. My dealership performs a throttle-body service and it takes care of the problem.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
could be dirty injectors, try some fuel system cleaner in the tank, otherwise you would have to have the injectors checked

I was having the same problem and I was tire of it. This is how you would not have a problem any more:Just clean the throtle body every time you do your oil service. at least I don't have this problem anymore. you can clean it your self, it's very easy and you save money.

Last edited:
This is how I like to do it. You will first need to remove the large Black hose going from the intake to the throttle body. (The Intake is where your air filter is.) There will be a large clamp at each end of this hose. Remove the one close to the throttle body and also remove the small vacuum line from the hose by pulling it. Lose your clamps from your air filter cover and then you'll be able to remove the intake hose with the filter box cover to the side. This way you can dust off your air filter too, by dusting your air filter off will last a bit longer, your car will breathe better and more.

Make sure your engine is cold, then open your throttle and Soak the throttle body well with your CRC THROTTLE BODY CLEANER, then use an old toothbrush to brush against any metal surface you can reach. You'll find the brush will quickly turn black. Wipe the inside with a cloth as far as you can. Do the same thing with your throttle close. Repeat this process if you still see your throttle dirty.

Put everything back in place and then start your engine, it might take a couple of try, but pushing the gas pedal will help, if you need to. Ignore the white smoke coming out of your tailpipe, it will go away in seconds.

If you never done this before, search HOW TO CLEAN THE THROTTLE BODY in you tube, so you can have an idea how to do it.

Last edited:

scotts9219

This is a common problem with the Torrents. I believe it is caused by a warped throttle body. Dirt might also play into it. I have a 2006 also and I also have the same problem. It's relatively easy to work around until it can be repaired.

When starting the car, and if it is giving you fits, stop cranking, slightly open the throttle (don't floor it) and start the car. It starts up every time for me. Flooring it is bad because the engine has not had a chance to get oil through all of its passages before revving up under full power.

This is on my list of things to fix (love those warranties).

2006TorrentAWD

How did you permanently fix problem

I'm having intermittent issues starting my 2006 Torrent as well and it does seem to start if I press gas pedal. So what is permanent fix --- do I need to have my throttle body replaced? is that expensive when not under warranty?

2006TorrentAWD

What is a throttle-body service?

I'm not sure I know what to ask for. What exactly is a throttle-body service? Did you have your throttle body replaced?

elvichicago

I'm not sure I know what to ask for. What exactly is a throttle-body service? Did you have your throttle body replaced?
I saw a few YouTube clips of throttle body assembly cleaning. I can't find one for the Pontiac Torrent but I'm sure it's done pretty much the same. It seems pretty simple, if I can identify that part in my Torrent. I don't think I need to replace it, but just clean it. I will try to have it done today by a friend, because I am really getting tired of this mysterious problem. I don't know when and where I'm gonna get stranded next.

Here is the throttle body assembly cleaning of a Saturn car on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc5qCuQLmFE&feature=related

If this doesn't work, I will look into having the Ignition System Distributor checked by my mechanic. I was told it could possibly the problem.

iglet26

All you need to do is fallow the tube from the air cleaner to the motor take it off and spray carb cleaner in the throttle body and wipe it out that should fix your problem.

bnagel039

I had this exact same problem. I cleaned out my throttle body; it was only a temporary fix. It had trouble starting at select times...usually when I would leave my car sit for a half hour or so. I had the EGR Valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) replaced. Apparently, it was getting stuck open when my vehicle got warm, causing a starting problem. After replacement, which was three months ago, I haven't had a problem since.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Did you try cleaning it as described above?

Oreif

Illinois
Flooring it is bad because the engine has not had a chance to get oil through all of its passages before revving up under full power.
On newer vehicles (since 1982) with electronic fuel injection. If the TPS sensor reads WOT (pedal floored) without tachometer input (engine not running) It does not fire the fuel injectors. This is because the ECU reads it as a flooded condition and will not add more fuel.

misbhvnz

I have been having this issue on and off for 6 mos. Until Memorial Day weekend, I never had an instance in which the car didn't start after I backed off and tried again - granted sometimes it took a couple tries, but it always started.

Memorial Day weekend - i think we got it to start by shear luck.

I took it to a shop without checking here - they recommended a new battery based off their tests. Since it is a 2006 and I have 56k miles, I figured okay but didn't think that was the true fix.

10 days later, it did it again. I took it back to the shop. They ran more tests and this time they said it was bad starter and I replaced the starter. Well, it did it again last night and this time I gave it gas on the third try turning it over and it started. Went home and started googling and found this thread.

I've called a few GM dealers and other shops. I've been told everything from a bad ignition system to a bad fuel pump to bad sensors. Everyone wants to runs diagnostic tests to determine the issue, but I don't have any error codes on the dash or anything like that.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same issue and found the cause to be something other than a dirty throttle body or EGV valve since the three GM dealerships I have called dismissed those as a potential cause.

Thanks.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You obviously have an issue, even if you dont have a CEL, and testing has to be done to determine the cause. So unless you are prepared to check it when it doesnt start....determine if you have a spark, determine if you have fuel pressure, etc. you will need to take it somewhere to resolve it. Your choices are either a GM dealer or a private shop with the necessary equipment and skilled people.