2006 Torrent with intermittent A/C problem

robertg927

My latest problem (in the long and distinguished list of problems) is that my A/C is only working intermittently. I think it is related to the cooling fans. When I turn on the A/C, the cooling fans do not start. I connected the fans directly to the battery and both work fine. The A/C does occasionally come on and it seems to be when I'm sitting in traffic or climbing a long, steep hill and I think the cooling fan turns on because the car is getting hot (but not overheating). The A/C will run for a few minutes and then turn off again.

Are both cooling fans supposed to turn on (at least at low speed) when the A/C is turned on? I hooked up my gauges yesterday and the static pressure on both sides was about 90 pounds at around 78-80 degrees, which should be plenty to cycle the compressor, but the compressor wouldn't kick on so I don't know what the real pressures are when it's running.

Where should I go from here?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
See if this link helps, the pressure reading from a system where the compressor isnt running doesn't help.

robertg927

I agree that the pressure readings from the static system are not MUCH help, but in this case they show that the system does have enough of a charge that the compressor should run - and it does indeed run Thanks for the link. I'll try eautorepair.net and see if there any more helpful than alldatadiy.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
What is the reading when the compressor is running?

robertg927

It took a while to "catch it" in the act of running. I had to let it idle outside the garage for about 20 minutes before it finally kicked on. When it's running, the pressures are around 40/120 for low/high.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Rule of thumb for high pressure is double air temp plus 50. So unless you did this on 35 degree day you may need more gas.