• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2007 g5 gt transmision wont engage

Justin Rathel

I have a 2007 Pontiac G5 GT with a 2.4 liter Ecotec and a 4-speed automatic transmission last week on a short trip out of town something went wrong we pulled up to a red light my wife and I took off from the red light car shifted gears perfect I started talking my wife and let off the gas not paying attention noticed our speed dropping so simply eased back on the gas to pick back up pace only when I eased on the gas it was as if the car was in neutral but it was in Drive and it is still like this it doesn't matter what gear you put it in the RPM's do not change it's as if it is not engaging into gear at all or even attempting to never had any slipping issues or any transmission issues prior to this event as always pulled very strong shifted very well up until now you can put the car in any gear and roll it except for Park not getting any codes on OBD2 reader checked linkage , checked fluid level ,check all connections to trans can anybody help me very perplexed on this one

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Just to be clear, with the engine turned on and the car in park, if you step on the gas do the RPM's increase?
If that is the case the problem has nothing to do with the transmission.
Your car does not use a throttle cable, it uses an electronic throttle which may have failed.

Justin Rathel

Yes the gas pedal works fine when I said the RPM's do not change I meant as far as it would normally decrease the RPMs from load being put on it or just from engaging in gear Etc

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
How did you check the fluid level, no dipstick, the car has to be on a lift and the plug pulled on the case?
How many miles on the car?
Was the transmission ever serviced, fluid and filter changed?

Justin Rathel

Well I'm just saying obviously if I said I checked the fluid I pulled the plug on passenger side of the case opposite side of fill hole . The car has 140,555 miles and the fluid and filter have been changed once around 80,000 miles prior to now I dropped the pan and did filter and fluid change as soon as we got it off the tow truck no metal in the pan fluid was still red little dark but not burnt or anything like that

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Possibly a solenoid problem, they usually though only cause shifting problems, but the car has to be hooked up to a diagnostic tool that can check the transmission function.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
All the codes point to a major loss of communications between the various systems, the engine, the transmission and the brakes. Could be a wire harness issue or the ECM failed.