2007 Pontiac Solstice Fuel Gauge

Margrock

My fuel gauge is erratic. I was reading I should check the cluster fuse before actually looking at the sensor, etc. in the tank. Has anyone else had an experience of only one gauge not working due to the cluster fuse?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Typically a blown fuse causes no readings not erratic readings. Check if the sender uses a ground that has become corroded.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Before going down that road I found something else. There is a known issue with deposits from the gasoline effecting the sender. Buy two bottles of Techron 2 gasoline treatment. Immediately before filling the tank put one bottle in. Repeat with the second bottle on the following fill up and see if cures the problem.

Margrock

Before going down that road I found something else. There is a known issue with deposits from the gasoline effecting the sender. Buy two bottles of Techron 2 gasoline treatment. Immediately before filling the tank put one bottle in. Repeat with the second bottle on the following fill up and see if cures the problem.

cammerjeff

I agree on adding the additive, it is a good idea a couple of times a year, the Solstice fuel senders are very sensitive to any corrosion and it is not un common for them to act up like you have described. I have not had the issue yet with my cars, but I add the addative 2 times a year now.

Good luck, and please tell us if it works or not.

Margrock

I agree on adding the additive, it is a good idea a couple of times a year, the Solstice fuel senders are very sensitive to any corrosion and it is not un common for them to act up like you have described. I have not had the issue yet with my cars, but I add the addative 2 times a year now.

Good luck, and please tell us if it works or not.
I bought it and I am going to put it in my tank in the next couple days. Will let you know! Fingers crossed!

Margrock

Well, I did the additive - one bottle in two fill-ups. The gauge is still wonky, but I'll give it a bit more time to see if that changes...

Margrock

Related question: my turn signals have suddenly stopped turning off automatically after I turn. Could these these things be related (gas gauge)? Should I try replacing the cluster fuse? Seems like a lot of things are going wrong at one time... Suggestions?

cammerjeff

The turn signal switch no canceling is a common issue with Solstice, Sky & Chevy Colbalt's (and a few others GM cars that use the same switch) The GM P/N is 20940099 and you can get it for around $25 or so delivered from amazon or other retailers. It is simple to change and if you have any mechanical ability takes 30-40 minutes to replace. You can find many videos on line to show how its done.

So not related to the fuel gauge issue. I had to change the one on my 2009 coupe last year.

Margrock

The turn signal switch no canceling is a common issue with Solstice, Sky & Chevy Colbalt's (and a few others GM cars that use the same switch) The GM P/N is 20940099 and you can get it for around $25 or so delivered from amazon or other retailers. It is simple to change and if you have any mechanical ability takes 30-40 minutes to replace. You can find many videos on line to show how its done.

So not related to the fuel gauge issue. I had to change the one on my 2009 coupe last year.
Thanks so much!!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Read post 9 in this thread concerning a software update.

Margrock

So, this is the next step?

"Technicians are to reprogram the I/P and ECM simultaneously using Sequential Programming.

A revised calibration has been developed to address this issue. Reprogram the I/P and ECU with an updated software calibration using the Service Programming System (SPS). This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

These calibrations will be available as an ECM/IPC programming sequence event."