2008 grand prix sguts off while driving

PaulaR

Reaction score
The car has had a new throttle body and continues to shut off while driving. What is my next step?

Attachments

• Resized_20220802_193943.jpeg
    Resized_20220802_193943.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 3

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Do you have a check engine light on?
Did you go back to the shop that replaced the throttle body?
Did they consider there is a problem with the gas pedal controller?

PaulaR

Reaction score
Hi, we replaced the throttle body ourselves. However, after a few days the car shut down again while driving. This time we took it into the shop. They said again, it's the throttle body. I said we just replaced it and I was unwilling to pay the 800 to do it again. So I brought the xar home. No, no check engine light just the center warning when it dies.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Did the shop actually do any tests?
Do you realize there is no cable opening the throttle body it uses an electronic pedal?

PaulaR

Reaction score
They did, check codes is all I know. They said it ran without the throttle body and were sure that was the problem

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
They did, check codes is all I know. They said it ran without the throttle body and were sure that was the problem
An engine can't run without a throttle body. Either you misunderstood or something else is going on.

PaulaR

Reaction score
An engine can't run without a throttle body. Either you misunderstood or something else is going on.
You are correct, i dont understand,. If it's not the throttle body, remember it's new, what is my next step?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
You are correct, i dont understand,. If it's not the throttle body, remember it's new, what is my next step?
Have a shop test the pedal assembly or run actual tests.

PaulaR

Reaction score
Correct part? The Gm dealer had this car for over a week. I will call the back and write a detailed note about the tests the ran. My feelings are they " think" they k own just as we did because it's makes sense it's the throttle body with the symptoms but I doubt they did any further tests. They told me the drove it to get it to act up, but could not get it to die until the left it to idle for an hour. Once it did they " tested" the throttle body and were confident it was that part and wanted over 700 dollars to replace it.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
The problem is either the throttle body, the pedal assembly, the wire harness, or the ECM. I can't tell you over the internet which component is causing the problem. Either a dealer or a shop with ASE certified technicians have to determine the cause . There also maybe Technical Service Bulletins issued by GM related to this issue.

PaulaR

Reaction score
Correct part? The Gm dealer had this car for over a week. I will call the back and write a detailed note about the tests the ran. My feelings are they " think" they k own just as we did because it's makes sense it's the throttle body with the symptoms but I doubt they did any further tests. They told me the drove it to get it to act up, but could not get it to die until the left it to idle for an hour. Once it did they " tested" the throttle body and were confident it was that part and wanted over 700 dollars to replace it.

Attachments

• 20221122_104010.jpg
    20221122_104010.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 3

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
They told me the saw it once it shut off for them, his exact words is he has never saw that center console throw out a warning like that.
If you Google it is very common. They should have looked at Technical Bulletins.

PaulaR

Reaction score
If you Google it is very common. They should have looked at Technical Bulletins.
I've googled this problem and it again points to the throttle body. I'm just at a loss as I've already spent money on the car and the shop telling me the problem is what I've already fixed. I spent the 80 on diagnostic with them and I don't feel like it's the correct problem. :( I appreciate you trying, I know impossible over the internet. Was Maybe hoping someone had the same experience that could say it's " probably this" before I waste more money or scrap the car.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
I've googled this problem and it again points to the throttle body. I'm just at a loss as I've already spent money on the car and the shop telling me the problem is what I've already fixed. I spent the 80 on diagnostic with them and I don't feel like it's the correct problem. :( I appreciate you trying, I know impossible over the internet. Was Maybe hoping someone had the same experience that could say it's " probably this" before I waste more money or scrap the car.
I told you the peddle assembly would be the next thing to try followed by intermittent wire harness problem.