• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2008 torrent overheating

KristensDad

My torrent overheats at stop lights and while idle I have checked the coolant levels and it’s fine I have replaced the thermostat so I know it’s not that I checked the radiator fans to make sure the are working any ideas? Could this possibly be the water pump?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
The fans are running when it runs hot with the AC off?
Did you flush the cooling system?
Does the coolant tank level when cold stay at the fill line over a period of one week?

KristensDad

Coolant level goes down after overheating and the coolant boiling out of the overflow fans run when it overheats and stay on til after the engine temp goes to a normal level even with the engine turned off the fans run

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Did you flush the cooling system when you replaced the thermostat?
Did you pressure test or replace the radiator/tank cap?

KristensDad

There is pressure in the system when I remove the cap on the coolant tank it releases the pressure no I didn’t flush the system when I changed the thermostat just added more coolant to fill it up

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
The pressure cap has to be tested or replaced. If it holds only 10 psi the vehicle can overheat and your removing the cap wont tell you that. If the system had never been cleaned in 11 years you may have a clogged radiator.

KristensDad

That’s was my second choice I took it to a shop they said they think it has an air pocket but needed more time to check that they checked everything else and said the rest of the system is fine and told me a flush wouldn’t help but I’m not that knowledgeable to know if it would or wouldn’t