2008 torrent overheating

KristensDad

Reaction score
My torrent overheats at stop lights and while idle I have checked the coolant levels and it’s fine I have replaced the thermostat so I know it’s not that I checked the radiator fans to make sure the are working any ideas? Could this possibly be the water pump?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
The fans are running when it runs hot with the AC off?
Did you flush the cooling system?
Does the coolant tank level when cold stay at the fill line over a period of one week?

KristensDad

Reaction score
Coolant level goes down after overheating and the coolant boiling out of the overflow fans run when it overheats and stay on til after the engine temp goes to a normal level even with the engine turned off the fans run

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Did you flush the cooling system when you replaced the thermostat?
Did you pressure test or replace the radiator/tank cap?

KristensDad

Reaction score
There is pressure in the system when I remove the cap on the coolant tank it releases the pressure no I didn’t flush the system when I changed the thermostat just added more coolant to fill it up

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
The pressure cap has to be tested or replaced. If it holds only 10 psi the vehicle can overheat and your removing the cap wont tell you that. If the system had never been cleaned in 11 years you may have a clogged radiator.

KristensDad

Reaction score
That’s was my second choice I took it to a shop they said they think it has an air pocket but needed more time to check that they checked everything else and said the rest of the system is fine and told me a flush wouldn’t help but I’m not that knowledgeable to know if it would or wouldn’t

KristensDad

Reaction score
Ok so a bit of an update took my torrent in again cause of the overheating issue and they couldn’t find anything wrong with the coolant system so I just said go ahead and change the oil cause it needed to be done nd didn’t have any issues for about a week with it overheating now it’s overheating again is it possible that it could be the oil pump that’s bad?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Oil pumps cause major engine failure not periodic overheating. It is still unclear exactly what this shop did to check for the cause of the overheating. You can rent a pressure tester and check for leaks and the condition of the pressure cap. You can rent an IR gun to determine exactly at what temperature the fans kick on. You can buy a coolant hydrocarbon test kit to check for a blown head gasket. The other thing you can do is take it to a different shop for a second opinion.

KristensDad

Reaction score
I did take it to two shops already neither one could find the issue or make the car overheat while it was in the shop ever with the car running for over 20min and reviving the engine to 2k rpms for over 5 min I really wish the radiator was in a better place where I didn’t have to take half of the front end apart

Oil pumps cause major engine failure not periodic overheating. It is still unclear exactly what this shop did to check for the cause of the overheating. You can rent a pressure tester and check for leaks and the condition of the pressure cap. You can rent an IR gun to determine exactly at what temperature the fans kick on. You can buy a coolant hydrocarbon test kit to check for a blown head gasket. The other thing you can do is take it to a different shop for a second opinion.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Check the coolant level when cold after about one week or less of no overheating. Unless you have been checking every day when cold you may have a slow leak and it only over heats once the level gets too low.

G

G-514843

The problem for me when it said engine hot a/c off, it was because there was air bubbles in radiator line/hose and also if you ever hear like bubbles or water behind your dash it cause there is air in the lines!!! I thought we got all the air out but we did it multiple times just cranked the car open the valve and let it swap out just make sure you keep filling it up so you don’t run out of water and you will have air in it. And also the coolant sensor for the temperature gauge would go past or not accurate on your dash was from having air in the lines!

G

G-925078

My torrent overheats at stop lights and while idle I have checked the coolant levels and it’s fine I have replaced the thermostat so I know it’s not that I checked the radiator fans to make sure the are working any ideas? Could this possibly be the water pump?
Have you found the problem.? Having the same issues with my 2008 torrent.