• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Pontiac owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

2009 Pontiac vibe all wheel drive front passenger axle replacement issues

Old son

Reaction score
Having difficulty removing front passenger axle on 2009 all-wheel drive Vibe. Suspect carrier bearing on axel shaft stuck in transmission housing. I removed the spring retaining clip (that holds that bearing and Axle in place) from the transmission housing. I also backed out a bolt that holds the outer bearing race from spinning.
I've tried using a slide hammer with a fork that engages the axle next to the transmission. I am concerned that the amount of impact Force I have applied will cause something to break before the axle comes loose. Another concern is if it takes this much force to remove the carrier bearing from the transmission housing how do you reinstall it as the new bearing is mounted on the new axle. Any input would be appreciated.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
There is a special service tool, SST, that looks like a ball joint pickle fork. They show it at about 7.24 in this video. You can also inquire on a Toyota Matrix forum.

Last edited:

mcgibbster

Reaction score
I just ran into the same situation Original Poster
Having difficulty removing front passenger axle on 2009 all-wheel drive Vibe. Suspect carrier bearing on axel shaft stuck in transmission housing. I removed the spring retaining clip (that holds that bearing and Axle in place) from the transmission housing. I also backed out a bolt that holds the outer bearing race from spinning.
I've tried using a slide hammer with a fork that engages the axle next to the transmission. I am concerned that the amount of impact Force I have applied will cause something to break before the axle comes loose. Another concern is if it takes this much force to remove the carrier bearing from the transmission housing how do you reinstall it as the new bearing is mounted on the new axle. Any input would be appreciated.

No room for a SST and halfway down the axle is a bearing. removed bearing ring bearing lock bolt and am soaking the bearing with rust breaker. no matrix or pontiac vibe videos I have seen have this bearing. Curious how the Original Poster solved this.