• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

3.1 timing gear/chain

DavidFW

Bought a 1995 GP SE as a parts car, 114k miles, transmission bad but it wasn't, motor mount. Replaced the motor mount and the car runs like new. 100 mile round trip at 70 mph and not one single problem. Question is, if and when should I have the timing gear/chain changed out? Lot of different answers on the 'net. I'm guessing the 3.4 in the same age range are the same. Anyone?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Unlike a timing belt there is no specific mileage to change a chain. If you start having problems that cannot be pinned to another source you may consider it but only if it is confirmed that it has stretched.

DavidFW

Unlike a timing belt there is no specific mileage to change a chain. If you start having problems that cannot be pinned to another source you may consider it but only if it is confirmed that it has stretched.
The car/engine is running like a Swiss watch. It out performs my 94 GTP with the 3.4 and 45k original. You reflect a lot of the other posts I've read. I maintain all my cars to the factory specs for maintenance which seems to work better than anything else you can do to an engine. Thanks for the reply!