455 cid

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Not sure Pontiac kept or released that information since the 455 was an option.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
It would be possible to find out, but would cost a small fortune if PHS PHS Historic Services was willing to take it on. They have most of the accounting department records from Pontiac from the late 50's thru the mid 1980's. But they are on old style Microfiche not on a computer base. They would have to manually 4519 invoices and keep track of how many had th optional 455. It would cost several thousand $$$$ I would imagine. So its not really an option. It has been done to get the numbers for rare Firebird ad GTO options, such as various Ramm Air engines, or 4-speed transmission options.

But that was a labor of love by the owner of the company.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Not directly related to this search but my experience with PHS was surprising.
My father was the original purchaser of my 71 GTO. Kept all the dealer paperwork but not the window sticker. Sent in to PHS for the window sticker and they could not find it on the microfiche. They stated some of it was damaged or incomplete. Had to send them the dealer paperwork I had so they could create a correct window sticker.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
Yeah they are missing some complete records for some years from some plants, like either 67 or 68 Firebird Production from the California plant. The only experiance I have with getting numbers info for one of my cars was when I originally Purchased my 1973 Lemans Safari Wagon with the optional 4-speed Manual Transmission. When Jim saw it was a 4-speed manual, an option he was not aware of being offered in a Lemans wagon in any year, he took it upon himself to look up the production numbers. He then found out it was only optional from August 1972 thru October 1972. And they only made 12 wagons with a 4-speed. 10 with 350's and a Saginaw 4-speed, and 2 with 400's and a Muncie M-20. My car is 1 of 2.

Jim said it helped that it was only available for 1/3 of the model year, so he only had to look thru those months of invoices. But unless Jim or his son are interested in finding out about a specific options production numbers, we will probably never know them.