• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

'62 Catalina Brake Booster Pushrod

_benz

OR
Hi All,

New around here and looking for advice. I am replacing the master cylinder on my '62 Catalina. After bench bleeding the new MC I've run into a problem during install where the pushrod from the brake booster has a plunger instead of the typical rod. Have I ordered the wrong MC or is the plunger able to be removed? All of the aftermarket MC's I've been looking at have the same configuration as the one I purchased. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I agree, that looks like the piston from the old master, did the old master have a piston in it's bore when you removed it?

Brakebooster

Hi and Greetings from Finland!

We were strugling with that same problem yesterday and we also thought that it is the piston from the old master BUT we were wrong.
That plunger right there is connected to the brake booster with a pin located at the back of the brake booster. So in order to get one out is to unhook the pushrod from the brake pedal and remove whole brake booster from the body. After that we opened the brake booster and found that it was filled with dirt and liquids.
Here is few pics:

Attachments

Last edited: