64 Bonneville trans

wdl182

Just put a new edelbrock carb on my Bonneville. Hooked up original throttle linkage ( had to adjust the length of rod ) and hooked up the kick down rod and did no adjustment. Car runs fine and idles as should with a little tinkering, but the trans when in D position will shift from low to second fairly quickly and wants to run up to 40 mph and hard shift into drive ??? Any thoughts or help?

Thanks,
Wayne

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
found this adjustment procedure for the kickdown rod for a 63

1. Remove carburetor air cleaner.

2. Loosen lock nuts on top of throttle control rod trunion.

3. With engine at normal operating temperture and selector in "drive" adjust idle to 450-500 RPM (540-560 RPM with air conditioning).

4. Stop the engine and install proper diameter pin through holes in throttle control level and bracket.
NOTE: Four-barrel units have a throttle return check. Before installing the pin in these models, it is advisable to remove the throttle return check to prevent interference with linkage adjustment,

5. With throttle valve fully closed, loosen lock nut and adjust length of transmission throttle control rod to carburetor so that the gauge pin is free in the hole. Then tighten the lock nut.

6. Push throttle control rod to transmission (T.V. rod) downward until the outer throttle lever is felt to touch the end of it's travel.
CAUTION: Make sure that, when the lever is in this position, the upper lock nut is not interfering with the trunnion.

7. While holding the throttle rod to transmission in this position, tighten upper and lower trunnion lock nuts finger tight. SHorten throttle control rod to transmission by 2 1/2 turns and tighten upper nut securely. Remove gauge pin.

8. Loosen lock nut on carburetor throttle rod. Adjust carburetor throttle rod to obtain 5-9/64" (5.140") from roller end of pedal rod to body toe biard.

9. Tighten lock nut on carburetor throttle rod.

10. Reinstall air cleaner.

11. To complete throttle linkage adjustment, road test the car. Modify the adjustment as required by shortening or lengthening the throttle control rod to transmission, (T.V. rod) 1/2 turn at a time to obtain the best shift pattern.

wdl182

Bonneville trans

I figured it out !! I had shortened the throttle linkage to fit new carb and then tonight I adjusted the kick down rod " lengthen it " Had to add some length to the rod, but finally got it where it needed to be 8 3/4" center to center .

Test drove and everything shifted fine . Thanks

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
good to hear one more oldie is still running fine.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.