• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

66 Le Mans springs

Somerville

I need to get the front end up a bit. Depending on road conditions or turning hard to the right, the front tires scrape the wheel wells. Font tires are P235/60R/15 the back tires are P245/6 0R/15 so the front appears a bit lower then the back. I plan to replace all springs while converting the drums to disk brakes in the front (the stock power brakes require a lot of force to break and leave me spooked in the event of a quick stop). Car is a 326 with A/C ...What do you guys thing would be the best replacement springs to get without giving up a smooth ride. I have read that cargo springs do well in the rear? What should I do with the front? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or is this or is even right approach?
The previous owner installed mirrors (no cable adjustment thru door panel) the passenger mirror will not adjust to let the driver see...before I buy some and try them any idea what will work.
Thanks

They may be sagging because they are over 50 years old. If you get new replacements from Moog you will probably find the original front end height restored. You can also ask questions about your concerns from the link to the Moog dealer in my post.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
A/C equipped or convertible cars have a stiffer /taller spring rate, rear station wagon springs have a stiffer/ taller spring rate.

Look at the specs listed on the springs to see the difference... In coil wire diameter and rate and height.

Doug in P.R. šŸ˜Ž

You can also take your springs to a Spring shop and have them re-arched if they are still in good shape. (not broken) This way you can dictate to the shop exactly how much height you want and they should be able to make it happen.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Your tire choice is the same height as stock but over an inch wider. Have no idea what wheels you are using as far as offset and backspace that may contribute to the problem. Have you determined if the springs are actually sagging? It would be problematic if you changed the springs and still had a rubbing problem. If you are sure about the springs causing the issue look at Eaton springs that will sell stock, lower, and higher sizes. Look at www.amesperf.com for the mirrors.

Somerville

A/C equipped or convertible cars have a stiffer /taller spring rate, rear station wagon springs have a stiffer/ taller spring rate.

Look at the specs listed on the springs to see the difference... In coil wire diameter and rate and height.

Doug in P.R. šŸ˜Ž
Got to do some research when the shop manual arrives. ...tks

Somerville

Your tire choice is the same height as stock but over an inch wider. Have no idea what wheels you are using as far as offset and backspace that may contribute to the problem. Have you determined if the springs are actually sagging? It would be problematic if you changed the springs and still had a rubbing problem. If you are sure about the springs causing the issue look at Eaton springs that will sell stock, lower, and higher sizes. Look at www.amesperf.com for the mirrors.
Previous owner equipped the car with tires and rims so i have no idea of width? I can see the car appears to be a bt lower on level ground in front. I will ck out Eaton and amesperf ( just got the catalog)
I have a lot of learning to get up to speed on this toy. thank you all for advice! What is puzzling to me is the car is has 40k on odometer and engine seems in great shape ...no blow by or smoke..No apparent evidence of a rebuild but seems unbelievable to have that low milage... can springs sag with age? as apposed to wear?...seems doubtful. before i commit to buy there are qualified guys locally that can help with choices.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Yes the springs can sag with age. The factory shop manual should have ride height specifications in section 0.