67 GTO Harmonic Balancer Install

donsgt37

Hi, I am new to this site and I hope someone can help with my question. I am installing a new harmonic balancer on my 67 GTO build. It came with a crank key and the balancer has a keyway in it but there is no keyway in the crankshaft. Is the crank key necessary or can I just bolt the balancer to the crankshaft?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
the key is what correctly positions the balancer. Was there a keyway in the old balancer? Something is not correct if you dont see a slot in the snout of the crank for the key.

Last edited:
G

G-420701

I bought the car half built. The 67 motor was built with 69 timing cover, 69 balancer and pulleys. They used washers to align all the pulleys. The balancer was just bolted on with no crank key and the crankshaft doesn't have a key way. I bought the correct balancer and pulleys to make everything line up.

donsgt37

I bought the car half finished and the motor had been rebuilt. It's a 67 but they used 69 timing cover, harmonic balancer and pulleys. None of the pulleys lined up so they use washers everywhere to get the alignment. I didn't like this, so I bought 67 timing cover, balancer and pulleys. The old balancer was just bolted on without any crank key and the crank has no keyway.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
how do you propose to bolt on a balancer without a keyway and have the timing mark on the balancer correctly align with the zero mark on the timing cover and not slip on the crankshaft under load? Something is wrong with the crankshaft. I assume there was a slot for the crankshaft timing gear?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Was there a slot for the crankshaft timing gear?
Take a picture of the snout of the crank and take it to an automotive machine shop that works on just about any American V8.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.