71 Trim rings for honey comb wheels

JAL71TA

Texas
New member looking for some advice. I have a nice set of trim rings that I purchased from Classic Ind that I would like to use on my orig honey comb wheels on my 71 TA. My issue is that I can get three clips to secure to the rim but not the fourth. The rims are in great shape and have no visable warpage to them. The trim rings are true as well so I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Tires are 245x60x15 BF Goodrich.....HELP!!

Jim

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Are the clips interfering with anything, wheel weight, tire stem, etc?
Have you contacted Classic Industries?

JAL71TA

Texas
Yes I did the obvious remedies but they just will not fit, I tried Classic today no answer. I spoke with Firebird Central today and they say the quit selling the ones that are repoped becuase of the quality. Knew exactly what I was facing before I could ever get the words out. I even tried to put them on my Ralley II rims, same issue. Looks like I will have to go without them or find a NOS set.....good luck with that.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I bought the set that Ames sells.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
They are Ralley wheels 15" and do not use clips like the originals. They have toothed sections which use tension to hold them on. I believe they also carry the original style with clips.

JAL71TA

Texas
ok so they are RalleyII wheels and not honeycomb? I did see on the Ames website they do sell the 15 inch 73-76 trim rings for honeycomb wheels so I may call them tomorrow. I do realize the the 71 and 72's did not come orig but I just like the way the look.

bigwave01

Trim ring install

My trim rings are original and are very difficult to install and remove. The secret is to install the three you can get on leaving the fourth on the top of the wheel. You should be able to see the last retainer and will need to use a screw driver and push on the clip that grabs the inside of the rim. A tap or two and it will snap on. This assumes the aftermarket clips are the same as originals

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.