• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

72 Lemans, WC T5 Transmission problem

Johnnyj

Everything was normal when I left home. Over the next 1/2 hour found it very hard to shift gears , had to drive home
In 4th gear. Now I can shift through all gears with engine not running, but can't shift at all once engine is started.
The slave cylinder was replace about a year ago. Hyd fluid level is full! Any ideas as to what it could be since it happene
So fast??. Thanks in advance for any help!,

Johnnyj

I'm far from an expert on this, and am totally confused. If I can shift through all the gears
when car not running, why can't I shift into any gear with the car running?? Is there an easy
way to explain it???

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
When you step on the pedal with the engine running, the clutch is not disengauging and the trans will not go into gear, that means the slave cylinder is not pushing the clutch arm far enough to disengauge the clutch. I would have someone get under the car to see how far the clutch arm is moving

Worse case is you need a new clutch and pressure plate or may get lucky and the slave cylinder needs bleeding or replacement.

Doug in P.R. šŸ˜Ž

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
As 92 Sunbird explained on a running engine the main shaft is spinning but the 1/2 gear and the 3/4 gear are not spinning while in neutral. As you move the shifter the syncho's move which are engaging the gear you selected to spin at the same speed as the main shaft. If the main shaft isnt slowing down by you stepping on the pedal the synchro's cannt engage the gear to the main shaft.