'76 Gran Prix parts availability-fenders etc

J

John

Just came into ownership of a 76 gran prix with 67.000 real miles on it.
It's been driven for a while by someone who just drove it and nothing else.
It's in solid shape and i'd like to try and put it back to some kind of nice
condition. Where can i get fenders?. Door hinges would be nice too.
Also thinking of a transmission swap TH 350 C or TH 400 C, the car just begs for a lockup type transmission. Forget the 700 R 4, not willing to put up with
all the shifting - and cost.

Any ideas on body parts???

S

ScottW

I should have the fenders. The trans should already be a t350 of t400, what motor is in the car?

427HEMIPONTIAC

Reaction score
SE Wisconsin, just beyond the cheddar curtain
Every 76-77 GP I have seen has a THM400. I don't think they ever made a THM400C (aka 3L80), but I could be wrong. It won't get you more than a couple hundred rpm at best, 200 tops unless it has a very loose converter.

A THM2004R is a near bolt in swap, but needs to be beefed to handle the 350, 400 or 455 that you have.

Honestly, the fuel savings (if that is what you are after) won't be realized for a LONG time, if ever for the cost of the trans swap. Expect high teens highway, and low teens city. Even with the 455. The 455 benchmark is 12 city 18 highway. Any less and you have issues somewhere, go after them first.

But a 455, THM200 4R and 3.08's would make a killer street combo!!!

J

john76granprix

Parts for my lead sled....

Thanks ScottW, if you do have the fenders that just might work - not in a big hurry for them. As for the engine it's a 350 2bbl 2gv style carb, not in the best of tune. I'd be happier if it was in fact a 455 then i'd have some torque
to play with. But i can get some reasonable torque with the 350, cam,intake,
carb,header combos could yield some good numbers. Not sure of the
compression that year but it's probably around 8.5:1 or so. 9.5:1 would make
more power but i'm not looking forward to that much work just yet, it's not broke so i'm not fixing it. Since it is emissions exempt in my state i can do what ever i want under the hood - it's about time too!!.
The trans swap is mostly to cut the revs at highway speeds, and save a bit of fuel at the same time. Forgot the 700r4 is a chevy trans - bellhousing
issues and all. And yeah the 200r4 would need a big beef up job to handle what i have in mind under the hood. And then theres the other way to go.....
A nice four speed standard trans, i would much prefer that over any auto trans.
Overall i'm thinking work the engine a bit, run the current drive train till it gets tired - and it will. Then look at the line up at a later date.
I'll get some go out what i've got in there now, and i most likely will like it after some work is done. John

S

ScottW

TropicDave said:
Hey Scott,

Think Bruce would have any of the parts John is looking for? Since he's added G-bodies to the list?
I don't think Bruce would have anything for the GP already, he just decded to go that route. I've been parting GP's for several years to get the parts that will swap over to the Can Ams. I have most any part for the 73-77 GP's now.

TropicDave

Reaction score
Can Ams share with Grand Prix's: the dash (and everything related with that, to include the AC ducting), and various steering/drivetrain components if I'm not mistaken. Basically a lot of the 'hidden stuff'. The dash is the most noticeable feature, and was also used in the '73-'75 Grand Am and the Grand LeMans. Scott would be your best source for information here. I haven't dealt with GP's of that vintage in a long long while, it's mostly what I've been able to read about it.