79 TA Clutch Install 6.6

Jolo

I am replacing the flywheel, clutch, pilot bearing, pressure plate, clutch fork and ball, and throw out bearing. I used a clutch alignment tool. The new fork is gm From National Parts Depot with the same dimensions as the fork I removed. I could not get the bell housing and trans installed as a unit, so I separated them and installed the bell housing on the block with the fork and throw out bearing and I noticed the throw out bearing does not align with the clutch and the pilot bearing. It is off about a 1/2 inch and needs to be moved into the bell housing further to line up. The fork is seated properly on the ball. If I try to install the trans, the throw out bearing will come off the fork. I have done these jobs before but can’t figure this one out. Later this evening I will install the old fork and throw out bearing to see if I have the same offset. In the interim, any ideas on what I have done wrong here? Thanks

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Are you sure the bell housing is correctly installed?
Can you loosen the bell housing bolts and move it?
Does the bell housing have alignment dowels?
The fork and stud are the same length as the old ones?

Jolo

That was my initial thought. But, there are alignment dowels on both sides and the six bolts are tight You would think it would have to be a mis aligned bell housing I will try loosening it and try to re align it. If no luck, I will start from scratch with the old fork and TO bearing.

I will try to upload a photo. It has to be something I have done wrong.

Jolo

Here is the photo. When installing the bell housing. I started all the bolts by hand and the alignment dowels were in place

Attachments

• IMG_5097.JPG
    IMG_5097.JPG
    347.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Jolo

Correct. That photo is at a little bit of an angle but it is off center by 1/2 to 3/4”. If the fork is incorrect, it is too short or the ball pivot point is wrong

Jolo

I did compare the parts when the new one arrived. I bought the gm fork for $85 so maybe I just did a quick visual expecting them to be identical. I have no choice but to retrace my steps and compare them again and make sure the forks are identical. Seems the pivot points may not match. We shall see and I will advise what I find.

Jolo

When I pulled out the bell housing I realized the throw out bearing popped left into the fork rather than being seated between the two pivot points

Jolo

A stupid careless mistake and likely not my last. Working thru it on this forum was helpful. Thanks much “melsg5”

Attachments

• 29120788-34C0-4956-963D-1DFB9F989CCD.jpeg
    29120788-34C0-4956-963D-1DFB9F989CCD.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 1
  • F69CC3AF-4BA6-41A2-A335-942BEF4C8A42.jpeg
    F69CC3AF-4BA6-41A2-A335-942BEF4C8A42.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 1

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
Glad you figured it out! At least it did not cost you any more $$$ just time and effort. I was going to suggest looking at the for pivot ball length, I once bought a BOP bellhousing without knowing what engine type it was last installed behind. I turned out it was from and olds 260 V8, and the pivot ball stud was about 1/8" longer than one for a Pontiac V8. I almost let the clutch disengage with the adjustment rod all the way extended.

I had to pull it all apart again and compare parts, and swap out the ball from my damaged bellhousing that I still had laying around by chance.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Also glad you found it, just didn't look correct in your picture