86 Fiero gt cold blooded

Garydi

Reaction score
I have an 86 gt new to me. 40000 original miles purchased from original owner. The gt seems to run ok after a considerable warm up of 15 minutes or so. Thermostat takes at least 5 minutes to register any heat. Radiator full and 195 degree thermostat. Is this 2.8 engine a cold blooded one?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Have you tested the thermostat in a pot of water?
Bring to slow boil, slightly before boil, 195, it should start to open, and by full boil, fully open.
If you don't want to test it buy a new good quality thermostat such as Stant.
Are the cooling fans off during this warm up period?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Wouldn't that cause overheating?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how you interpret the OPs statement " it takes awhile to register any heat". You think he means the heater output and I thought he meant the temperature gauge.

Garydi

Reaction score
I guess it depends on how you interpret the OPs statement " it takes awhile to register any heat". You think he means the heater output and I thought he meant the temperature gauge.
Yep I meant the temp gauge. The needle is most times to the left on the gauge. Sometimes
It moves into the gauge but most time stays off to the left side. Idle is rough until it really warms up at about 1/4 if the gauge if in lucky. Then motor runs well

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Yep I meant the temp gauge. The needle is most times to the left on the gauge. Sometimes
It moves into the gauge but most time stays off to the left side. Idle is rough until it really warms up at about 1/4 if the gauge if in lucky. Then motor runs well
Then can you answer the questions about the thermostat and cooling fans?