87 fiero gt sluggish acceleration

joeas

alright I just bought a 1987 Pontiac fiero gt 2.8l v6 automatic about 2 weeks ago. revs up fine in park but once in gear the car accelerates very slow even if I floor it. the ses light was on had code 33 & 44. I replaced my map sensor and fixed an exhaust leak. ses light hasn't been on since but I still have sluggish acceleration. I've also changed my air & fuel filter and my coil. I don't believe its the transmission, the car shifts smoothly. I'm completely lost because the engine runs so smooth and sounds strong.
does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Try a fuel pressure test and does the transmission downshift when you floor it? Have you changed the transmission fluid and filter assuming you dont know when it was last serviced?

phonedawgz

Titletown, WI
+1 on checking your fuel pressure

Check your timing. Use the correct procedure when setting the timing. You have to jumper A - B on the ALDL connector.

Does the exhaust note sound odd or wheezy? A blocked CAT or muffler can cause power loss at load A quick test is to remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust down pipe and see if that increases performance greatly.