• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Pontiac owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

94 GP air intake/idle problem (?)

J

Joseph87

Hello. I have a 1994 Grand Prix - 3.1L, v6 - that has recently started having engine trouble. Usually, when I try to start it (either hot or cold), it will turn over and then immediately die. I can do this over and over. Once in a while I can get it to keep running, but if I turn on the A/C, or give the engine any kind of load (like putting it in drive), it will die. If I just leave it running, it will eventually die after a few minutes. I've replaced the IAC valve, and cleaned out any carbon deposits I could see between the air hose and the intake manifold. (I replaced the fuel filter early on.)

I do get a service engine light, but I don't have easy access to the proper code reader. I've been thinking about the possibility of it being the EGR valve, but I don't know how to check it.

Any suggestions on what this might be, or a good route to help diagnose the problem?

Thanks

jeremy

Reaction score
#1 - all you need to pull the codes on a '94 is a paper clip

#2 - pull the codes and report back with your findings

#3 - have you checked for vacuum leaks?