96 Bonneville 3.8l Evap purge solenoid malfunction

meluckeycharms42

Reaction score
I need help I have a 96 bonneville SE 3.8l no supercharger. I got code p1655. Evap purge solenoid malfunction. I cant find the location of it so I can replace it. Can anyone help me please.

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Have you looked on top of the charcoal canister which I believe is under PCM in engine compartment.

meluckeycharms42

Reaction score
Have you looked on top of the charcoal canister which I believe is under PCM in engine compartment.
Yes I found it is that the same thing cause it’s called a vent solenoid I’m looking for a Evap purge Solenoid

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Have you already purchased the new part or looked it up in order to help you identify what it looks like?

meluckeycharms42

Reaction score
Yes. The Evap purge valve and the vent solenoid show up when I check autozone and O’Reillys. They both show those parts when I look up Evap purge solenoid. I’ve replaced the valve and I’ve already ordered the vent solenoid it looked old and rough. Only thing I can do next is drop the gas tank look their. I was hoping someone on here knew where the Evap purge solenoid is.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Yes. The Evap purge valve and the vent solenoid show up when I check autozone and O’Reillys. They both show those parts when I look up Evap purge solenoid. I’ve replaced the valve and I’ve already ordered the vent solenoid it looked old and rough. Only thing I can do next is drop the gas tank look their. I was hoping someone on here knew where the Evap purge solenoid is.
Look through this link

meluckeycharms42

Reaction score
Look through this link
The code I’m getting is a p1655. I looked at the link and tomorrow I’ll go ahead drop the tank and see if it’s their. I have not seen anything like a Evap purge Solenoid near my front valve cover I followed the lines from charcoal canister and I see no purge solenoid. So I’m going to look for it when I move my tank. The issue with This code is causing my car as I drive to start flooding out and cutting off then I’m stuck on the side road 15 maybe 20 minutes and it clears out and I can crank it up drive for a little while then it does it again and I can smell gas and it smells like it flooded and it smells like old gas in a way and I’ve have been putting new gas in

meluckeycharms42

Reaction score
The code I’m getting is a p1655. I looked at the link and tomorrow I’ll go ahead drop the tank and see if it’s their. I have not seen anything like a Evap purge Solenoid near my front valve cover I followed the lines from charcoal canister and I see no purge solenoid. So I’m going to look for it when I move my tank. The issue with This code is causing my car as I drive to start flooding out and cutting off then I’m stuck on the side road 15 maybe 20 minutes and it clears out and I can crank it up drive for a little while then it does it again and I can smell gas and it smells like it flooded and it smells like old gas in a way and I’ve have been putting new gas in
Also thank you a lot for Helping me I hope you have a merry Christmas

meluckeycharms42

Reaction score
Did you remove the canister to see if it can be opened or replaced? A merry one to you too.
No but I thought about pulling it out cause it did have front end damage and the canister is in the front where the damage is

meluckeycharms42

Reaction score
Did you remove the canister to see if it can be opened or replaced? A merry one to you too.
I removed the canister and I see no damage or cracks. But it smells just like it did when the car would flood out. Makes me wonder if the vent solenoid was malfunction but I’m still dropping the gas tank in the morning to look for the purge solenoid

meluckeycharms42

Reaction score
Look through this link
I got another code reader that has a app to give more details. It now says I have a p1655 Evap purge solenoid circuit malfunction

Attachments

• B9320BED-87A9-4569-A5D3-D98CED494AA9.png
    B9320BED-87A9-4569-A5D3-D98CED494AA9.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 0

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Correct, it is either the valve or the wire harness connected to it.

meluckeycharms42

Reaction score
I removed the gas tank there is no evap Purge solenoid. I’ve looked everywhere. I replaced the vent solenoid and the Evap valve. When I look at the auto parts stores for evap solenoid nothing shows up as a part except for a valve or Evap valve and I replace both of them. If I can’t locate the Evap solenoid I can’t fix the code issue. I’m lost now on where to look

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
You either need a copy of the factory service manual or need to bring it to a shop.