97 bonneville high idle

reapercrew

ok this might take a while so if i shorten things up please don't get mad.

My next door neighbor passed away and I got his 97 Bonneville with only 132000 on it. the car had not ran in almost 5 years. well i decided to fix her up. here is a list of everything that i have done in the last 3 weeks since i got it.

heads were cracked had them repaired
new radiator, water pump, thermostat, battery, plugs wires and coils, TPS, MAS, IAC and EGR, intake manifold (upper) MAP and temp sensor A/C compressor drive belt, air dryer motor mounts.

i did all this myself she ran great for the first 2 days then out of know where i got P0121 P0122 and P0123 all TPS then i was getting P0507 I cleared and replaced again TPS IAC 3 different times found no faults in the wires. i have a good scanner AUTEL MK808TS i have checked and replaced all vac lines I think since not sure if they were even there to began with. so I'm at a loss here and 1500 later i can drive it the idle was at 4000 but has calmed to 1300 i don't have an owners man for it and today in less than 3 hours i am putting a new CAT on her.

I am new forgot to introduce myself Name is Bryon I am a big DIY mechanic nice to meet everyone. If anyone knows what my problem might be Please let me know and Thanks in advanced

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
All the codes point to the TPS.
Are you buying an AC-Delco or equivalent equality part?
Have you done any of the diagnostics with regard to voltage readings and other suggestions?

Last edited:

reapercrew

Hi melsg5, yes sir I have done all of that. Only thing i did notice is that when did the test, i am always at or around .63 on my TPS. and yes I have been getting Ac Delco and walker. lastly i did not go to muffler place as they didn't have the cat. I knew there was something wrong with the heater core and blend door since i only get hot air in the defrost and floor. that was my project today (WOW) literally took off dash found a wire that was going to my key was burned to a crisp fixed it and replaced my heater core and my blend door. I'm half way back to being done figured i would chime in. Lately the only code has been P0507 no more P0121 but my idle is still around 1300-1400.forgot to mention i have switched the intake manifold 3 times as well and i have a new alternator again any help would be nice and thanks again in advanced a be safe

reapercrew

oh not to sure what to make of this and if it helps but my temp goes from cold to red in less than a mile and stays in red but my MK808TS live data tells me it is usally at 196-199 and i have replaced once the temp sensor

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Over the internet I can only tell you to follow the suggestions for the P0507 I already gave you.
Why are you changing the intake so often?
Have you done a smoke test for a vacuum leak?

reapercrew

i changed once because i broke the bolt that mounts the TB other time was it didn't feel right. This is an update to todays occurrence. I found why my ac was only coming out of my defrost and floor vents. next to the heater core under dash there is a male to female connector for vac lines took the apart very carefully found the PINK wire had a big hole so i moved the line to the free slot next to it and now ac perr's before this I had started getting P0121 and NOT P0507 anymore. But since the brief 20 min off and on run no codes came up idled almost perfect. I barley got my dash put back together yes it's 4am right now for me I will advise in a few hours if not this evening on what the after math may be.

No i have not performed that test yet