97 sunfire stumble on acceleration

Basstender10.2

I have a 97 sunfire with a 2.2 5 speed. It just recently began to start to stumble during acceleration. I’ve noticed a slight decrease in power but I have no engine light. If your just normal driving the car is fine but If you go to merge on to the highway or pass someone or pull a large hill it will start to buck and it seems to miss but still no codes or pending codes. I had to replace one fuel injector when I got it I was worried they’d be dirty but the old one was perfectly clean. Myself and the previous owner who bought the car new only use 100% fuel. Every other week I’ll get a code for the down stream o2 sensor heater. But it just goes right back off. But it shouldn’t effect how the car runs, right? One thing I’ve noticed is a have one plug wire that is lose. I’m wondering if it’s arcing on the head during acceleration? But wouldn’t it do that all the time then? I’ve also heard of the throttle position sensor going bad on these cars and having no codes brought up by the ecm. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? Any help is appreciated.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
How many miles since a complete tuneup?
Sounds like the plug wires need replacement.
Start with basic maintenance.

Basstender10.2

How many miles since a complete tuneup?
Sounds like the plug wires need replacement.
Start with basic maintenance.
Just changed the plugs 7,000 miles ago. I took the wire off and pushed it back on and now it’s fine. I picked up a new set of wires from work and I’ll put them on tomorrow. The routing is a little odd but doesn’t look too bad.