98 Grand Prix won’t start

Bigblock

Hello I have a 98 Grand Prix with a 3.1 litre engine. Lately I’m having problems with intermittent starting. I lose all power. No spark or power to fuel pump when this issue happens. Car was running excellent.
I could try it in a few days and it might start again but then shutdown.
I have tried a few things like coil pack, battery, checked some grounds.
Any ideas on what could be causing this.

Thanks.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Check the battery cables for corrosion, frayed wires under the insulation. Check the main battery ground and the starter wires.

Bigblock

Thanks for replying. I’ve checked the battery cables and starter wires all are clean and look good. It’s acting strange when’s it’s going its running good then all of a sudden it will cut off and looses spark and power to fuel pump. I have headlights and tail lights but no signal lights when this happens. It will turn over but not start.

Also noticed with key in on position and put on my signal light the RPM gauge will flick ,signal lights won’t work only a noise from the flasher. When it do run when I put on my signal lights the dash lights will get dim.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Do you have a check engine light on?
Have you carefully looked at top and bottom of main fuse box?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Yes I was, since your problem is intermittent. No spark and no pump and one other thought is ignition switch and I'm assuming no security light on.

Bigblock

Yeah I did think about the ignition switch. Seems to be like a bad ground somewhere? It do have a remote start I was thinking maybe it was something related to that.