98 Sunfire headlight problems

B

burger2227

I have a decent car, but recently have had headlight problems. I found out from a repairman that there is a harness above the hood release under the dash that causes the problem. I have to reach under sometimes to get the driver side light to come on. I cannot afford to replace the harness if it involves tearing the steering column apart. Any ideas what I can do would be greatly appreciated. The repairman knew right away and I think GM should have a recall on it for safety reasons. I imagine both lights could be affected in some cars. Same as Cavaliers.

Ted

jkd

illinois
i've never heard of this before. is it a loose molex plug or a wire that is shorting on the chassis? if its just a wire with an open you can just splice and solder the wire. if its shorting to the chassis it should blow a fuse.

R

robert potts

sunfire headlight problem

Just started having problems with driver side headlight in 98 sunfire 2.2.
It is on but only dim and the headlight signal on dash keeps flashing.
Have repalced the bulb with no difference. Still very dim.
Any help much appreciated.
Rob.

U

Unregistered

are you talking about a lil light on the upper left hand corner?
if thats the case then pontiac sunfires were equipped with a day time running light for some silly reason
once you turn your headlights on the light goes away
when your headlights are turned off during the day they stay on dim
thats just a safety feature

B

burger2227

Harness problem

robert potts said:
Just started having problems with driver side headlight in 98 sunfire 2.2.
It is on but only dim and the headlight signal on dash keeps flashing.
Have repalced the bulb with no difference. Still very dim.
Any help much appreciated.
Rob.
Check the harness under the left side of dashboard by moving it side to side.
I recently fixed the problem by pulling it to the right side. That may not work for all. This is a known problem that Pontiac has ignored so far.

B

burger2227

NO ! But could be similar

Unregistered said:
are you talking about a lil light on the upper left hand corner?
if thats the case then pontiac sunfires were equipped with a day time running light for some silly reason
once you turn your headlights on the light goes away
when your headlights are turned off during the day they stay on dim
thats just a safety feature
That is the daylamp indicator. It always should be on when in drive mode, except when the lights are turned on. If it doesnt stay lit or flashes there may be a bulb or harness problem. The harness is on the left side under dash.

U

Unregistered

day time running lights

we had the same problem and we changed the cruse control and light lever and the light stopped blinking. it worked for us

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.