a engine cooling problem

reble

Kennewick, Wa
This is on a 2008 Torrent. This problem started a few days ago when triple digit Temperatures started. The Temperature gauge sits at a bit bellow half way up the scale even with the A/C on except for when the SUV is parked and running with the A/C on. Then the temp starts climbing and the hot alarm sounded one time. Driving down the road with the A/C on the temp stays at half way on the gauge like it should. And when I am parked with the motor and A/C on and the temp starts to climb I can speed up the motor RPMs to about 2,500 RPMs and then the temp comes down to normal but it will start climbing again in a few minutes after I take my foot of the gas. I don't know how to tell on this rig how much coolant is in the radiator, I can't find a radiator cap. By the way the heater core still needs to be blown out. There was no heat last winter.

Steve

reble

Kennewick, Wa
Yes the radiator fans do kick on and off at the right times, temperature wise. I will look at the surge tank and check coolant level in the morning when the air temperature is cool. My home weather station reported the outside temperature on Tue at 107° with the relative humidity at 16% at 3:30pm Pacific Daylight Time. And we have had a lot of small and medium grass fires around here on Tue. Even some of the older transit bus's were over heating today with the A/C on.

Steve

By the way there is no coolant leaks on the ground or on the passenger side floorboard.

with the engine cold how much coolant is in the plastic surge tank? Look in the owners manual page 5-24 for a diagram.
when the engine is running hot are the radiator fan or fans running?
http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manual/pontiac/2008-Pontiac-Torrent.pdf

Last edited:

reble

Kennewick, Wa
The surge tank is empty. I didn't think much of it last fall just after I got the rig. And in replacing the windshield washer tank. I had to move the surge tank out of the way to get the windshield washer tank in place and I did lose some radiator fluid from the bottom hose on the surge tank. I didn't see any radiator fluid on the ground so I assumed the fluid went into the radiator. I didn't have any problems with the cooling system until the very hot heat spell (100° and over) the 1st one for this summer started last week. Is it doing what it is doing because the cooling system is low on fluid? If so I can't do anything about it until Aug 3rd when I get my next SSDI direct deposit. The SUV is also sitting in my parking space until Aug 3rd because I have just enough gas left to get to the gas station on Aug 3rd. I can only allocate so much money each month for gas and when that gas is gone the SUV sits the rest of the month in my parking space and I take public transit.

with the engine cold how much coolant is in the plastic surge tank? Look in the owners manual page 5-24 for a diagram.]

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
The engine cooling system has air in it because you are low on coolant. You have to add either coolant or distilled water to the cold level on the surge tank and then monitor whether the tank goes empty again. If the vehicle continues to loose engine coolant you will have to determine the cause.

reble

Kennewick, Wa
The surge tank is a very dirty orange color Not white like the windshield washer tank. I can't tell fluid level from the outside. I had to look in the tank it self with a flash light to check the level. Do I need to replace the surge tank and get the cooling system flushed?

A PS. I did check the engine oil. The oil is fine and no coolant in the oil.

The engine cooling system has air in it because you are low on coolant. You have to add either coolant or distilled water to the cold level on the surge tank and then monitor whether the tank goes empty again. If the vehicle continues to loose engine coolant you will have to determine the cause.

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
at the moment you need to fill the tank to the proper level and then check if the fluid level goes down after a couple of drives. If it does you need to find out if you have a leak. Once that is cleared up you can decide if you need to have it flushed.

reble

Kennewick, Wa
You didn't answer the question about needing to replace the surge tank.

at the moment you need to fill the tank to the proper level and then check if the fluid level goes down after a couple of drives. If it does you need to find out if you have a leak. Once that is cleared up you can decide if you need to have it flushed.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
if it troubles you that you cannt see the level without removing the cap replace it, right now the real problem is why is it empty.

reble

Kennewick, Wa
What I am getting at about the dirty surge tank is. With the dirty surge tank, maybe the whole cooling system is as dirty as the surge tank. I hope the rest of the system is clean but I though I would bring it up. At any rate like I said I have to wait until Aug 3rd when I get payed before I can buy any coolant.
In a way I am a rich man if I were living in the country of Zimbabwe I have two 10 million dollar Zimbabwe notes. But with the current exchange rate each note is only worth about $3.50 each in US dollars. ;-)

if it troubles you that you cannt see the level without removing the cap replace it, right now the real problem is why is it empty.

reble

Kennewick, Wa
I added about a half gallon of 50/50 mix antifreeze to the Surge Tank on Sunday morning then we went grocery shopping. Latter after the sun went down on Sunday night I checked the level in the Surge Tank and found that it needed a bit more coolant. Since then the engine temperature is staying at a bit under half way up the scale with the A/C on sitting and waiting for someone at a 107° today. So it looks like the cooling problem is solved.

It can be rinsed out with vinegar and hot water. ( Surge tank)

A screwdriver with a rag on the end on real bad buildup debris helps clean it also.

Doug in P.R.:)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.